Saturday, September 16, 2023

Braided bread

Friday

I slept in until after 9. I got up and got dressed. I watered the plants outside. I checked out some hints for Myst III. I read e-mail. I made and ate breakfast. I added to the grocery list, then we packed the cooler and headed to the post office. I went in and got the mail and some packages. Then we went to Tooele, listening to the book on CD. I did not fall asleep this time.

We stopped at the Mexican store for pigs feet. We also got an aloe leaf and a papaya. $40! Then we went to Luckeys for some groceries. I went to Melanie's and had a nice chat with Sophia about farmer's markets. She said Amish markets are the best because she loved their braided bread.

Then we went to Macey's. Chris hit a couple places looking for an inflation machine for the riding lawn mower tire. Then we went back to base, and to the commissary for a few last things. When we got home, we put away the groceries. I read e-mail and Telegram messages. Then I started making bread for Sgt King since Sunday is his last day. I put it in the oven to rise and it didn't seem to. So I started another bowl of yeast and water and sugar. While it rose, I went to the garden to disperse coffee grounds. I tried the irrigation system and it was leaking badly. So I watered by hose and turned off the timer. One corn stalk looked dead, so I rescued the ear on it. It was small and partly eaten. So I grabbed a bunch more. None were good looking. I went by Mauvet's garden and picked an ear and a tomato. When she moved, she said people could pick her garden.

I went home. The bread HAD risen so I beat it down again in the bread machine, then rolled it into ropes and braided it. I cut the bad spots from the corn and put them in water to boil. Then, since I had yeasty water, I threw some flour in it and made some dough. I added that to the same cookie sheet with the braid.

When the oven was hot, I threw them in to bake, not sure how long it would take. I finished listening to an interview with Dr. Jane Ruby. It was about the covid ward of a hospital in NY, and how the ward was being run and funded by the Dept of Defense. People were being treated for covid, but nothing else, not dehydration, blood pressure, etc. Her guest had to get her mother out of there to recover.

I worked on my blog. I filled a bottle with the last of the tea. I took the big water container and went to Michelle's house. I gave her one of the small corn cobs. Her husband had the game up on the TV. She and I talked and then I started to play. He went to bed early because he is going on a long hike tomorrow. While I played, she cut out baby burp cloths from flannel. We finished at the same time. Then we chatted a bit more and I went home.

Chris was in bed reading. I got ready for bed and hit the hay.

No comments: