Monday, September 18, 2023

The Inter-denominational Service

Sunday

I got up before 8. It occurred to me that if I met the chaplain and asst at the chapel at 8:30, I could make sure Sgt King got his braided bread. I could also find the hymn numbers for the ones I chose. So I got up and dressed and went to the chapel.

I got there just after Sgt King. I carried in my trombone and started looking up the hymns. But one of them wasn't in the chapel hymnal so I had to pick another closing hymn. The chaplain came in and then Michelle did. We discussed moving tables to the back of the narthex. I decided to pass out hymnals and discovered that they were incredibly dusty. So I got some paper towels and wiped them as I placed them under chairs. Then as I wiped Bibles, the men placed them under chairs. We checked the restrooms to make sure they were clean and stocked. The others left while I dusted and scrubbed in the sanctuary.

I decided to go out and walk in as if I had never been there before and see how things looked. I got no further than the front door. All the windows were dirty and buggy and webby. I went home for a squeegee and watered my outdoor plants. Then I came back with a bucket and cloths and stepstool. I washed the windows and door frames inside and out. It looked good, but I wondered if anyone would notice.

At noon I went home to make and eat breakfast. Then I got dressed for church. Chris wasn't quite ready so I went by myself. When I got there, the parking lot was almost full. I have never seen that before. I went in and went up front to assemble my trombone. I sat there as Chris came in and we all got ready for the service. Most of the seats were filled.

So the chaplain spoke and the LDS bishop and president both spoke. Then Pastor Josh had his guitar and played two praise hymns. Pastor Chris gave his 5-minute sermon in about 20 minutes. Then our new chaplain gave his sermon. He became very impassioned and I worried for his blood pressure at times. Then Saronna and Sophia and I played our two hymns, which dovetailed perfectly with the sermons.

After the service, Michelle had food set up in the fellowship hall. I got my food from the fridge and added it to one of the tables. I went back to the main room to chat, then we all moved to the food line. Then I sat near Michelle to tell her what a good job she did. I also asked if she noticed the clean windows, and she said no but she heard someone say the place was really clean. I chatted with others as they went by. Finally as people left, we cleaned up the food and tablecloths. I licked some chocolate frosting from the empty cake plates. (I paid for that later).

So we all went home in our own car. Chris changed his clothes while I sprinkled cinnamon on the remaining frosting. I ate that and it helped with the headache. Then I changed my clothes, too.

I read e-mail for awhile and ate some of the small apples. Then I went to the pear tree and picked some from the ground and two from the tree. Most of the tree ones were still green.

When I got home, I mowed the side yard until the mower battery ran down. I plugged it in and put the mower away. Then I ate a pig's foot while listening to an interview on metabolic health.

Finally it was time to work on my blog (while eating sticks of jicama). I heated tea and we watched two episodes of Andromeda. I retired to my computer and Chris went to bed. When I noticed it was after 11, I went through my nightly routine and headed to bed.

No comments: