Monday, September 25, 2023

The Eagle has Landed (sort of)

Sunday

I woke up early, hearing Chris putter around, then come back and take his shower. So I got up and got dressed. I packed a large handbag with a book, a bottle of water, bag of local rocks, and my usual glasses etc. I chose a coat. Chris said Michelle was outside in her car with her kids. So we got in Chris' car and she followed us to Michael Army Airfield.

It was full of people. We found a place to park, then wended our way towards the tents. We stood outside the media tent for awhile, but it was cold. So we went inside the larger test where large screen TV's were set up around the edges, and there were lots of round tables. We lined up by the airfield side to watch the helicopters take off for the landing area. Then we watched the monitors for updates on the payload hurtling toward the earth. Finally one parachute deployed and then another, slowing it down enough to land safely in the sand. There was great rejoicing!

I texted Kurt, sending him pics of the landing and then the team coming out to examine the Osiris Rex payload. Finally they wrapped it up, then carried it near a helicopter and attached it. The copter took off and came back to MAAF. But it didn't land. Instead, it gently deposited the payload in a parkingl ot near the clean room. They picked it up and placed it on a car, then rolled it inside the garage-type door. Then they unwrapped it a little and cleaned the cart, and moved it to a cleaner room. Then it was removed from that cart and set on a cleaner one.

The party had broken up so the chaplain took me home. He went to prepare for the service, and I watered my plants, then tuned into the NASA channel to watch more. But there wasn't much more to see. So I read e-mail and made breakfast. I put cheese squares in my handbag.

At 12:50, I grabbed everything and went to the chapel. I met people going in and saw new people in the sanctuary. I set up my trombone, then greeted them. I spoke with Jenni and Rick. Then the service began. Pastor Chris ran the computer while Chaplain Sands did the sermon. We sang songs and he preached emphatically. There was prayer and I played a hymn at the end. Then we chatted in groups and ate cheese squares.

Finally the remaining 4 of us left. I went home and ate some fruit. Chris came home. We read e-mail for hours. I called Michelle and we agreed to meet at the gym at 6:30. I went to the company house to take the sheets from the dryer and fold them and put them away. Then I went by the apple and pear tree and picked some fruit. Then I went to the garden where I saw evidence of frost. Sigh. I picked my potatoes and some of Mauvet's garden.

I went home to change my shoes and afterward headed to the gym. Michelle let me in and we walked the track for quite some time. We investigated the men's sauna to see if it was better than the women's sauna. Yes. But what a pig pen the men's locker room was!

We discussed going to the club (which Chris had opened for the NASA people to party). But then just went home. I read e-mail for awhile, then worked on my blog. I called Chris a few times but he didn't answer. Finally I called his work phone. THEN he answered. He said he had helped to clean up and was leaving. So I finished my blog and he came home.

We watched one episode of Andromeda. I put away my laundry and then we dressed the bed in clean sheets. He went to bed but I stayed up to read e-mail.

No comments: