Sunday, September 24, 2023

Osiris Rex at Clark Planetarium

Saturday

I got up after 8. I got ready for the day. Then I went to the company house to get the laundry started. While the towels washed, I made the beds with sheets from the closet. Then I went to the post office to unlock the swap shop. I talked to the clerk who had just opened up the postal desk. I mailed Tonja's meds. John came in and joined the conversation.

When the swap shopper left, I locked up and went back to the company house to clean the bathrooms, kitchen and floors. I got the second load in the washer. Then I went home, watered the plants, and took a shower. Chris took a shower while I tried on a bunch of tops, not sure what was appropriate.

He wanted to leave at 11, but we didn't get on the road till 11:30. We listened to the book on CD all the way to the planetarium in SLT. We parked under the Children's Museum and walked over. We found our way upstairs and signed in. Then we went into the IMAX and the presentation started a few minutes later.

It was all about OSIRIS Rex. (The E should be capitalized, but my software keeps changing it to lowercase). They explained what each letter was for, and how the program came to be, and about they chose the asteroid, accomplished the mission and now the payload will be dropped at 4:42am. It was very interesting. But we didn't get handouts.

Then there was a reception on the upper floor. Everyone got a drink ticket but I gave mine to Chris. I got a glass of water and walked around. Finally Chris caught up with me and we joined some scientists from a company. We had a very interesting conversation. Chris left to go to the bathroom and never came back. But Shannon joined me and listened as I asked questions. Then the scientists moved on. Shannon and I went through the food line, trying this and that. We talked to some ladies. Chris came back and she left. And finally we headed out too.

On the ground floor, he thanked the ladies at the NASA table and they had a conversation. Then we went back to the Children's Museum. I wanted to walk through the avenue there that was so nicely set up for people on foot, with seating areas, and a splash pad at the end. There were store fronts, but nothing in them :( Anyway, we walked down and came back, then went to the parking garage. Then I realized I had to go to the bathroom. So we went to the Children's Museum and asked. But they said I would have to pay admission to use their restroom. >$13! So we walked down the street again to the restroom sign but could not find a restroom there. So we kept going. Finally we did find one and all worked out well.

We went back to the garage, and Chris programmed the GPS and we came home, listening to the book on CD. I closed my eyes and might have drifted off during the trip. Then we got back to base before 6.

I changed my clothes and went back to the company house to put stuff in the dryer and fold towels and such. I talked to Michelle, then put on a suit and went to the pool. I talked to Jenni in the water, and later Michelle and her family joined us. It got dark and cool. I shivered as I got out and wrapped myself in a towel. They all left but I stayed to chat with the lifeguard. He told me he enjoyed having NASA scientists in the pool today.

I went home and put on dry clothes. I ate a can of olives. I worked on my blog, then whipped up cheese squares for tomorrow while my tea was heating. One of the eggs had two yolks, so I guess we'll be eating twins. I made tea and we watched two episodes of Andromeda. He went to bed and I stayed up to read e-mail. When I went to bed, I had a hard time getting to sleep, again.

No comments: