Sunday, October 22, 2023

Alien Invasion

Saturday

I woke up around 8 and Chris was gone. I got up, got dressed, and took supplements. I started watering the outdoor plants. When I came in, Chris was here, looking like he'd just run a mile. He took a shower and put on a black suit and black tie. But without the black glasses, most people didn't know who he was dressed as. He put the tire gauge in his pocket to look like the flashy-thingy.

Then we drove to the hotel and walked across to the check in for the Alien Invasion. I didn't know about dressing up. Some guys wore inflatable alien costumes that looked like the aliens were carrying them. We signed in, then stood around for a bit until it was time to line up. It was chilly. We let the runners go first, then got behind them. The course was 3 miles around the neighborhood and up the hill. We walked the whole thing and talked to people.

When we got back to the 'finish line', there was a table to pick up a medal and some fruit. I stood around while Chris talked, then checked out the vendor stands. One was selling jewelry and I bought a necklace for my blue ball gown. One had crocheted pumpkins. Another had crystals and handmade earrings. None to go with my necklace, though.

We stopped at the company house to get the laundry started. The sheets were not stripped so I had to do that. Then we went home. I checked e-mail, then looked up Halloween outlines and printed some for sewing class. The spiders printed perfectly but the other stuff printed as a series of dots and dashes. Is the printer calling for help in Morse code? I tried printing a piece of music, but none of the staff lines came out.

I picked fabric to go with the shapes, then made and ate breakfast. I packed the sewing bags and Chris loaded the machine in my car. Chris went to chapel with me to carry stuff in. Then he walked home and I went by the company house to move laundry to the dryer.

When I got back, I set up machines and the iron. I started cutting out the images. The kids arrived and checked out the sample bag. They each chose a reusable shopping bag and an image and fabric. Wilhelm wanted the giant spider, which was a lot of cutting. Sophia traced three cats and Moira did the bat. I ended up sewing the spider on by myself because it was too complicated to do with Wilhelm sitting on my lap. Moire snicked her bat when cutting away the bag. I suggested fusible, not realizing that she didn't know the bag would melt. And it did, all over the iron and ironing board. So we worked together to come up with a plan to put yellow behind the melted spot and turn it into a moon.

Wilhelm cut through the spider when cutting away the bag and was devastated. His mother sewed some black behind it to cover the long cut, then she finished cutting away the spider. Sophia never did finish sewing her cats because of all the time taken to cut them out.

We cleaned up all the notions and scraps and such. Then they helped me carry my bags to the car. They went to pick apples. I went to the company house to throw the last sheet in the dryer and dress the bed. Then I went over to the apple tree to take a pic, which then went home and posted on Facebook so everyone would know the apples were ready to pick.

I got my cleaning stuff and went back for 25 minutes to wipe counters and sweep floors, and empty trash. Then I went home and cleaned myself up. Chris took me to an outdoor barbecue, arriving an hour before the food came out. We chatted and watched the meat being cooked. One set of sausages was cooked in its plastic wrapper.

When the sun went down it got cold, Gary gave me a blanket to put around my shoulders. We had pork ribs and several kinds of chicken, various flavors of mac-n-cheese, sliders, salad, coleslaw. And dessert. I sat to eat but then stood around talking. Finally it got too cold and we went home.

I ate some sprouts to make up for all the grilled meats, and worked on my blog. I checked my Facebook post for comments, but there was nothing that needed answering. I made tea and we watched two episodes of Psych. Then he went to bed and I stayed up too late watching a walk-through of Myst III.

No comments: