Friday, October 20, 2023

The cake auction

Thursday

I got up right after the 7:35 alarm. I went to the kitchen to whip the frosting left in the bowl. It did fine. But it seemed stiff enough for piping and maybe too stiff for frosting. I put some in a bowl just so and blended the rest with finely chopped cacao nibs. That came out rather grainy. Then I brushed and got dressed.

Jenni called because she was visiting the park in front of my house. I went out to talk to her and to show her the cake that fell. I told her it was awful but she wanted it so I let her have it. We chatted for a bit and she took her young charges and went to another park.

Then I went to Janica's house to see the printer she is selling. I brought a thumb drive with sheet music on it to try printing. But it would not print because one of the color cartridges was empty. She futzed around with it, knowing there was plenty of black ink, but still it would not print. Then I went to apt 106 for a sign-over. The occupant gave me cash and I gave him a receipt. The inspectors signed the cleaning contract and so did he and I. He gave me his key, too. Then we all left and I locked up.

When I got home, I made a coconut cream cheese frosting with the butter and cream cheese that was sitting at room temperature. Chris came home early for lunch. Then Randy came by to look at the sprinklers and to bring over the hose for watering the apple tree. He said we need taller sprinkler heads as the ground builds up.

I started frosting the cake and my timer rang. I had set it for 11:45 to remind me to lay out in the sun. I put on my suit and laid on the chaise on the back porch. Chris went back to work. I came in after noon. I finished frosting the cake, then I decorated it with licorice and candy and kitkat bars to make spiders. I piped chocolate frosting all around the bottom. I put it in the cake saver and made room for it in the fridge. I had to take some stuff out.

Then I made and ate breakfast while listening to The Highwire. They talked about contamination found the mRNA shots. Pfizer booster shots have more LNP than the original shots. How to get safe unvaxxed blood.

When it was over, I listened to a coffee chat with Dr. Jane. She was on fire about fetal deaths after the mother's vaccination. Then I looked for pics of a reverse applique treat bag. I could not find what I wanted, so I went to my sewing room to make one. Then I used it to post an announcement for the sewing class on Saturday.

I called Jenni to ask for a ride to the church so I could hold my cake. She agreed. I put a bowl of soup in the toaster oven and set it for 20 minutes. Then I started washing the plethora of dishes that got dirtied in the cake-making process. After 20 minutes, I took the soup out and it was cold because I had to unplug the toaster oven to run the mixer. Sigh. I plugged it back in and set it for another 20 minutes.

I finished the dishes but couldn't wait for Jenni. I took my cake to the church and found it locked. I waited until Mr. Pace came and opened it. Then I dropped off the cake and went home. I ate half the bowl of soup, then went to the neighborhood meeting which had started on time for once. After the meeting, Charity gave me some puzzles. Chris dropped by for a pizza.

Then I got in his car and we went to the LDS church. They were having dinner before the cake auction. So we each got a bowl of chili and sat with Michelle and her family. After the eating, the auction began. The funds were for the young women's group. And people came prepared to spend. Michelle bid $75 on one because the colonel wanted it. Then later, There was a bidding war over a Barbie doll cake. It went for $150! My cake brought a bid of $30. Finally someone bid $85 for all the was left. I guess she was ready to go home. Chris helped put up chairs and tables. Deb had bought 3 cakes including mine) and asked me to take one because she and her husband are diabetic. So I took the smallest. I talked to Shannon and happened to mention the hanging gopher. She was intrigued and wants to come over and take a pic and post it. I said not to let anyone know it was at my house. Chris and I ended up talking with Saronna and Randy after everyone had left. Finally we walked out together. Chris and I headed home. My id was in my car so I used my driver's license. But Chris still had to vouch for me. He dropped me at the community club to get my car. Then I met him at home. He went to his laptop and I finished my soup. Then I made tea and worked on my blog. He went to bed and I headed there later after putting away most of the dishes I washed.

No comments: