Monday, October 9, 2023

The best burger

Sunday

We got up after 8:30. I had not slept as well as the night before. I was constantly vacillating between being too hot and being too cold. Sigh. We puttered around, having breakfast and reading e-mail. The cleaning lady did the room next door and I set our trash out to be collected. Later a man came by to wash all the windows, which was nice.

We got dressed and went to the national park. Chris drove us back to the creek that we saw on Friday. He sat in the car and read, while I found a rock on the shore to sit on. The water was freezingly cold, so I only soaked one foot at a time while reading. Eventually the sun on my neck told me it was time to go.

I walked back to the car on numb feet. Chris was talking with three older ladies sitting on the tailgate of a truck. We chatted with them for awhile, then a large RV pulled up. There wasn't much space, so we headed back. When we got back to the main road, we went to an overlook. We got out and took pics there. Chris found people to talk to.

On our way back to the motel, we stopped at another place for ice cream. But all they had was vanilla. So we headed back. We read e-mail until 5, then got ready and went east to Capitol Burger. The people running it were on Iron Chef at one time and are glad to be out of that rat race. So now they make burgers. We stood in line to get a mushroom burger and a pastrami burger. Then, while we waited, we saw the sign for the Figgy Piggy. He explained that it used a fig meade from the Atta Place hard cider store. So we ordered one of those as well.

When our order was filled, we went back to the motel to eat. New people had moved in next door and they had young energetic kids. We ate our burgers and shared the third. Then, for peace and quiet, I took my book and went out by the stream to read. When the daylight began to fade, I went back to our room. I read some e-mail and worked on my blog.

I drank tea in bed as we watched Uncharted. Then we snuggled into the sheets and went to sleep. I took a moment to step outside and check out the night sky. It was so full of stars! Then I went to sleep, sleep that was better than last night but not as good as the night before.

No comments: