Friday, October 13, 2023

The ultimate vegetable soup

Thursday

I got up after 8. I got ready for the day. I checked e-mail briefly, and some videos on browning onions and garlic. They did not all agree. I didn't have Kevin's number so I called Faye, and she answered. She was at work but she gave me his number and I called him. He answered all my questions. Someone seemed to be there, answering in the background.

Anyway, I sliced up an onion and got it started browning in a frying pan. I had to turn it to the lowest setting on the gas stove. Then I minced up some garlic cloves. When the onion was ready, I threw in the garlic. When they were both browned, I scraped them into the crock pot.

Then I cut up a small zucchini and sauteed that and threw it in. I put in leftover boiled potatoes and a package of bone broth and turned on the crock pot. I washed all the potatoes I dug up and put them on to boil. I chose a squash from the fridge and cut it up, sauteed it, and threw that in.

I put on The Highwire and made breakfast. Chris came home. I showed him the store potatoes that we have had for months and he said to throw them out. He heard something he didn't agree with on The HIghwire and became very angry. After the 'conversation', I plugged in the headphones. He went back to work. I unplugged the headphones and continued to listen while looking for other veggies to add. I found some beets, a large zucchini (the inside seemed more like a squash), some peppers from Torrey, corn I picked awhile ago, a tiny HOT pepper from the tower garden, and sweet potatoes that we harvested last spring. Each thing got boiled or sauteed before going in the crock pot.

Finally it was time for the Paint and Sip class. I jotted some notes for my blog, then drove over to the Community Club. I was happy to see that so many people had signed up. I chose a seat then went to buy a drink (which was kind of expected). They didn't have anything I wanted so I bought a bottle of water.

I sat beside Jenni and listened to Brittany start the class. She had a table of items in the middle of the ring of tables. We were invited to paint what we saw. She only gave us black, white and orange paint. So I used the charcoal to draw what looked like a Christmas tree topper. It was leaning over so that's how I drew it. Then I thought it looked like the horn of a unicorn, so I roughed in that shape. I added leaves and a lake to round out the picture.

She called time and we were supposed to turn our paintings around so everyone could see. She had us talk about our art in turn, starting with me. It was nice to see what everyone did and they were all so different. Since there was still paint on my palette, I used a piece of paper towel to dab and smear it on my canvass, trying to use it up. Ha!

She let us take the paints and brushes home. I headed out with mine, but got caught up in a conversation in the parking lot. Then it got cold and I remembered I needed to cover my plants. So I went home and brought in the sweet potato plant (which was very unhappy about the temp last night). The tower garden already had its frost cover on.

When I got home, Chris was eating his pizza. He joined me in having a bowl of the soup that took all day to make. It was ok, but needed more spicing. I couldn't taste the onions or the garlic so I added garlic powder to mine. I had a second bowl of soup and worked on my blog. I made tea and we watched four episodes of Dick Van Dyke, finishing season 1. Then Chris went to bed and I stayed up to read more of The Great Taking.

No comments: