Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Calligraphy and carpets



I awoke briefly when Chris got up to go to work. Then I slept until Michele left for college. I looked through my e-mail, then ate, showered and dressed. I walked to the thrift shop. I was amazed at how much stuff had been donated. We wallowed in it. I put out as many videos and DVD's as we had room for. Then I shelved some books, but they were buried under the DVD's I couldn't put out. Plus there was a lot of other stuff on top of the DVd's that would come crashing down if disturbed. Still, I worked for 4 hours. A huge bag of DVD copies came in. We can't sell them, so volunteers took what they wanted and the rest were thrown away. A little after 3, I walked to the DHL. I was going to walk to Chris' office from there, but it was just too hot. So I stayed until almost 4, then walked outside to meet some friends to go to a calligraphy exhibit. Three of us waited until 4:40 for the fourth to show. Then we got a taxi to the Seoul Arts Center. The opening ceremony was well under way. A large Korean smorgasbord was set up. I couldn't identify all the foods, but was told one was manta ray. Not bad, tasted like the part of a crab that's in the shell. Afterwards, we visited the calligraphic works of two friends and took pics of them and others. At the end, we were given small sprays of flowers, like corsages, and encouraged to sign our names in a book with a calligraphy brush. We caught a taxi back to the base. He let me out early to walk home as it was nearer my apt. Soon after I arrived home, the carpet seller from the AWC meeting arrived. I was interested in two of his carpets, but he brought many more, mostly in silk. He lowered his price, so I bought them both. He threw in a rug/wallhanging that is very interesting, looks like it was crocheted or something. Afterwards, I talked with Michele while she was trying to read an assignment for college. A little more e-mail and Chris and Michele went to bed. I sent out an invitation to a meeting for our core quilt members to talk out our feelings about the longarm, since a few feathers have been ruffled.
I hope the meeting will help everyone to get a better perspective of what we expect, or at least provide me with info so I can go to the people in posession of the longarm and negotiate with them. I do so hope we can find some resolution. I am ready to be done with this and go back to quilting.

No comments: