Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Fabric mecca (and beads, too)


I awoke early this morning, intending to ask Chris to drive me to gate 19 to meet others who are going to Dongdaemun. But he woke up sick and stayed home. So I loaded up my rolling cart with the 14 yards of fabric to be exchanged, and walked. I left early so I could catch the bus to the school and walk from there, but I just couldn't see waiting for it, so I started walking. I almost got to Gate 19 before someone going to Dongdaemun stopped and offered me a ride. Sure, why not? Then we sat in her car awaiting the hour of nine. Finally there were 5 of us and we hit the subway. At Dongdaemun we first stopped to look at cloth labels, but no one was there to answer questions. Then we went to the 5th floor to see Mr. Kang, the Happy Quilt man. We spent quite some time there, I was helping others pick out fabrics, then had to pick out my own. He had a lot that I liked in the plastic packages. I also got to exchange 14 yards of fabric that wasn't red, white or blue, for some cream colored ones. Then we walked down to the next fabric booth. And we spent some time looking at thread and beads. Downstairs we looked for darning cotton but didn't find any. Finally I bought some batting on the ground floor and we set off for the base. Dana carried my roll of batting because I had so much fabric to carry. She even gave me a ride to my gate. Then I carried it all by myself, which was ok until I found out that our elevator was broken. Thankfully we live on the 6th floor, not the 16th. I spent the afternoon washing and drying my new fabric, and then ironing it. Chris made little Korean beef patties for supper. Then Michele arrived, hungry. I retired to my computer to do the e-mail thing.

No comments: