Saturday, September 26, 2009

Sat. morning out and lots of walking


We got up early: Chris to play an online game and me to get ready for a meeting of the World Federation of Women for Peace (or something like that). I wanted Chris to drive me on post to gate 17 to catch the subway, but his game had already started. So I headed out even earlier than I had planned. The original plan was to walk to the Seobinngo station, but it has 4 flights of steps up, which would be ok normally but my legs are still sore from the other day. So I walked past it, on and on until I got to the Ichon station. It has an escalator. I took the subway to the Sookmyung Women's University stop and realized I was still 15 minutes early. So I sat at a cozy little spot in the subway and pulled out my Sudoku book. At 9:30 I exited the subway and realized that I had printed out the directions but forgotten to bring them.

Luckily the image was burned into memory. I had no trouble walking to the building. Then a lady I had met before was standing in front, so we went in together. Such a fancy elevator they had! Completely mirrored. We went to the 9th floor, then took the steps to the 8th floor (no, not more steps!) We signed in and she paid my way (Thank you, Helen). The chairs were set up at least 3 feet apart in every direction because the topic today was meditation and breathing. The speaker was head of a meditation center that does sessions for large groups. She showed us some chi goong exercises and then had us lay on the floor for breathing and meditation. Afterwards we went upstairs to the rooftop garden to have croissants and fruit. Helen sat and talked with me. A lady got up and did an impromptu Russion peasant dance instruction. Then we went back to talking. A friend of Helen's came and sat with us. She was upset and unable to sleep after a car accident weeks ago. So I did some EFT with her and she seemed a little calmer afterwards. It must have been after 1 by that time. Those two ladies and another left to go to church (the only English service is on Saturday). So I went back to the subway and got off at the Yongsan station. I called Chris to meet me at the nearest gate, but his game was still going on. So I walked to E-Mart and bought kimchi. For some reason the lady at the counter threw in a small bottle of Canola Oil. Fried kimchi? Anyway, I walked to Gate 19 from there, called a friend for a ride, but she didn't answer, so I called Chris again. Still gaming. It was after 3. Keep in mind that the people he (and Michele) were gaming with were in the U.S., so it was the middle of the night for them. So I walked all the way across base, and then past the Hangang school to our apartment. I was NOT in a good mood. I ate some kimchi and a dried squid (squids are remarkably filling), then got started on my e-mail. There were plenty of audio links to listen to. Then when Chris fixed supper, Michele told us that she had been invited to a friend's house for Moroccan food. So she left and we ate, then watched a movie and went to bed. She came home late. It turns out her friend is the daughter of the Moroccan ambassador so she ate at the embassy!

No comments: