Friday, April 23, 2010

Volunteer of the Year



I woke up late again, about 9. I spent a little time on e-mail, but decided that my top priority was putting the finishing touches on my outfit for the Volunteer of the Year ceremony. I tried out several ways of adding lace to the neckline, then sewed it in, only to find that it was backwards. So I ripped it out and redid it. Then I made a belt of matching fabric, but also looked at making a belt of the same lace as the neckline. But there just wasn't a good way to finish it off. Pinning a strip of lace around my waist seemed a little tacky. Then I turned my attention to jewelry. I strung some white, blue and tiny clear beads into two loops for earrings, and then a longer string for a necklace. The necklace was a stretchy, clear band, but I discovered at the last minute that it wouldn't tie in a knot. So I got Michele to tie monofilament thread around the ends. Around 6 I asked Chris if we had time for me to make a matching purse, but he said no (The meet-and-greet part started at 6). Well, we were there by 6:30, signed in, had our picture taken, then walked around finding people to talk to. Finally we all sat down in the ballroom, a little cozy with over 200 people. I was there as both a nominator and as a nominee. Chris came as my guest. Food was brought to the tables, in courses. Each volunteer had a silver peacock napkin ring. At the ceremony afterwards, we were each handed an engraved chalice and a USFK coin. I was so nervous about going up there that I had to hold my breath so I wouldn't hyperventilate. Then afterwards I had to sit outside for awhile to calm down. Chris and I stood around talking after the awards (172 of us were all awarded VOY.) Finally we came home and it was time because I am tired.

No comments: