Friday, July 16, 2010

Kwangjang Market

I did not wake up in time to make Chris' sandwich. In fact what woke me up was his cell phone receiving a text message. He left it behind. That was at 9. I was scheduled to meet Cathy at 6:25 but was a little late. We parked at Gate 19, and took the subway to Dongdaemun to meet Joan. But her taxi had taken her to Dongdaemun stadium exit 9. So I walked over there, but had to cross under to get to exit 9 and got turned around in the subway. In fact, we had to walk out of our way to find an overland path back to Dongdaemun. But I did, while Cathy started shopping. Then I took Joan to our favorite first floor shop (see pic of fabric) where we met Cathy and all proceeded to the Kwangjang market. That's the OTHER fabric market. Well, it rained and it rained hard. We were getting soaked by the time we found Kwangjang. Luckily they had a food court (sort of) and we had a bite to eat and drink. Then we walked our socks off. (Actually none of us had socks, which was good or they'd have been soaked.) We saw fabric of all kinds, a place that sharpens scissors, fresh food, and cooked. We even saw what amounted to Korean party platters. Finally Cathy had to leave. Joan and I walked a bit more, then she caught a taxi. I decided to go to Namdaemun to get a Corelle bowl to match one that broke. But the man wanted 5000 won. Too much. I also tried to buy just a 10" lid that is oven safe. But everything was in sets. So I bought a lid-like object called a bulgogi pan. Should do the job. Also helped keep my head dry in the rain. The rest of me got soaked. I went wandering and found a place to buy pojagy fabric (Korean patchwork). Soaked, I went home. But the place was empty. By six I was getting worried. So I called Chris and got no answer. He called later to say that he and Michele had watched one movie and were waiting for another to start. Well, gee, I'd have gone if I had known, depending on when it started. Instead, I cleared out e-mail, made binding for two QOVs, and prepared my new fabrics for washing. I had to soak my sprouts in water, and it occurred to me to drink the water. It was spicy. I also thought about how easy they are to grow. Doesn't matter how dry, or hot it is outside. No need for pesticides or herbicides. No weeding and very little waiting. They are ready in less than a week. This is the kind of farming I can handle.

No comments: