Thursday, July 22, 2010

Back again in the U.S.A.

Our trip went as planned and better. We drove to Rick's house to drop off our car. He drove us to the Capitol hotel where we caught a bus to the airport. We were two hours early, but 'till we checked our luggage and went through security, we did not have to wait long until boarding time. I bought Michele some sorbet at an ice cream shop near our gate. I got a can of nuts for me in case the plane food was not up to my dietary standards. But the best thing of all, was getting a free upgrade to business class. Was it Chris' frequent flyer miles? God? The power of positive thinking? Whatever made it happen, flying in business class is SOOOOO cool! So much room, much better food, free socks and slippers, reclining and adjustable chairs, outlets, better headsets, warmer blankets, fuller pillows, free toothpaste and toothbrush, etc. It was still a long flight at 13.5 hours, but I think I actually slept during the flight. I was so amazed at our luck that I forgot to chew gum on take-off and still didn't have any ear problems. I took pics of the 'amenities' but didn't bring the cord to download them so you'll have to wait to see what business class looks like.
We landed in Detroit, picked up our luggage and went through customs, then re-checked it for Richmond. We had a 4 hour layover there. Then headed for Richmond. WE arrived at 11:35 pm. My in-laws (God bless them) were there to pick us up. Our luggage was at the counter by the time we walked there so we were out of the airport in no time. Then it was off to bed, and glad to be there.
We got up Thursday morning (EST), showered, had breakfast, picked blackberries in the back yard, and went shopping. We all stopped at a Wal-Mart but it was re-doing everything and we hardly found a thing. Then on to a coffee bean store at the mall. Cecily wanted Chris to choose some coffee. I waited outside. Then we went home. Al and I went to a mini-Mart where the wife is Korean. She wasn't there, but they sold kimchi, so I got a container. We had lunch at home, and then Cecily and I went on a search for my health foods. I got nuts, flax seed, wheat germ, and bean sprouts. But could not find natto anywhere. Ought to be in with the tofu I think. She got a roasted chicken for supper, so we came home to drop it off. We were going to go back out but I got sleepy and took a nap. Turns out all three of us fell asleep and woke up just in time for supper. The news was on during supper. I haven't seen TV news in a loooong time. Interesting. We talked about things in the news for hours. Then I went outside for a nature break. It's handy to have nature right in your own back yard. I have just been reading e-mail (on my in-laws computer) and decided to post. I hope I will be able to sleep after having had a nap this afternoon.

1 comment:

Jilly said...

Hey way to go Fern with the upgrade how wonderful that sounds, never had that myself so can use you to dream through if ever i get to fly again....enjoy your trip home.

Ciao fo rnow Jill