Thursday, August 5, 2010

Finishing unfinished projects

I woke up as my parents were preparing to go grocery shopping. Apparently this is a long procedure. Inventory is taken of each item, and the list is prepared on the computer. I was helping my mom cut fabric pieces for a quilt kit that she bought. When they left to go shopping, I finished cutting the kit, then got on-line to send a few e-mails for my father. I also read through my messages. When they came home, the groceries got put away and we all had lunch. After lunch they went to the fitness center. While they were gone, I finished a casserole cover that my mom started years ago. It involved a little hand-sewing so I went outside to put my barefeet on the ground while I stitched. That didn't take long and I wanted more 'grounding' time, so I weeded the garden. I pulled the dry laundry off the line on my way in. Then I put a blue binding on a ragged-edge quilt that my mother almost finished. It got very dark then and Michele ran out to get the rest of the laundry as the heavens poured forth. The rain was so hard that my parents were sitting at the fitness center waiting for it to relent a little. I called to ask what I should start for supper. Chicken, rice, and mixed veggies. The fridge was full of leftovers, and I sorted through it to find bits that could be added to supper. I found half an onion and a cracked egg. I added that to the rice. I found some more chicken legs, and added them, too. I also found things that I would have thrown out, but won't mention them here. I had supper ready when they got home. After supper, I offered to wash the dishes, a job that takes my father hours. Well, he let me wash them, but stood there the whole time, making sure each piece was placed in the dishwasher to dry in just the right position. Then the counters and 'stuff' on them had to be meticulously cleaned for ants. We found them in the sugar, and behind the bread machine. My mother put out some bait. My father started processing the recyclables, one item at a time, choosing some to keep, and organizing the rest. I couldn't watch. I went to my mom, helped her with a breathing exercise, then planted myself in front of the computer to stem the tide of growing e-mail. I read an article on the dangers of electromegnetic fields, and the benefits of magnetic therapy.

No comments: