Thursday, August 12, 2010

The joys of jet lag


After getting up so early, I eliminated lots of e-mail. I had deleted all the frivolous stuff while on vacation so what was left needed more time to peruse. My sister and parents Skyped me after 10. I intended to be at the thrift shop by 11, but that didn't work out. I was late getting to the parking lot and then my car was nowhere to be found. I called Chris but he wasn't answering his phone. Then I called Maryann. She was so happy to hear from me that she came and picked me up. Even though she had shelved books and stuff in my absence, there was plenty left. In fact I didn't know where to start. But with a little help from Joan, I sorted it out, and made a big dent, but didn't finish before I had to leave at 2. I called Chris and he drove me back to my gate. He also let me know that he had lent my car to Nancy. I can see that her need is greater than mine, but it would have been nice to know that before I thought I had gone crazy and parked my car in some odd, out-of-the-way place and forgotten all about it. In his defense, he thought I knew about it.
I half-expected that my student would show up and hoped she wouldn't and she didn't. I was tired and it was wet out and I can't remember where we were before I left. I ate some leftovers, and unpacked a little, read some more e-mail. Did you know that every cell in your body needs cholesterol to live? That high cholesterol is a body's response to inflammation (preparing to build new cells)? That cholesterol lowering drugs therefore inhibit your body's ability to fight inflammation which is the real cause of heart disease?
Chris came home after 5. I usually run out to prepare for quilting class, but since I gave away the keys before I left, there was no reason for me to show up early. We were able to sit and talk a bit before I drove off. I got there about 6:30. Only Cathy and Sue were there. But within 10 minutes everyone arrived. I brought a wall hanging to work on during class. I had to call Maryann for info and that call went longer than I expected. Guess she really did miss me. Then I stood and handsewed binding while class went on. We were able to pack up early. Cathy and I agreed to meet at 10:30 to try to set up for the newcomers luncheon at the school tomorrow. Since there will be no expo this fall, it might be our only chance to get new people for our group.
I drove home after class. I was tired and fell asleep on the couch. At some point Chris pulled me to bed. I awoke at 4 am, was trying to go back to sleep when I realized that I had made an order to Swanson Vitamins online but forgot to submit it. So off to the computer to enter my order. Once there, I continued to deal with e-mail that came in over vacation time. This time I learned that there are reusable menstrual products on the market. Some are absorbent, and one is a cup that you empty several times a day. Who knew? The regular products on the market are bleached and contain dioxin, unless you can find organic all-cotton ones. Some people sell crocheted cotton tampons. I never would have guessed.
*Random bird from the beach*

No comments: