Saturday, August 7, 2010

Running errands and shopping

After the usual morning activities, I decided to go to the post office to get a priority mail box to mail packages of nuts, cranberries, and chocolate home. I missed a turn and didn't see the post office, but found myself near Home Depot. So I stopped in for a drawer knob (to fix Mom's pot lid) and a screen door latch. Driving away I notced geese in the parking lot. Geese! They looked quite at home and I took their picture. I also stopped at Salvation Army. I was hoping to find a coffee grinder or pepper mill, but got a pot lid instead. The clerk at Home Depot gave me directions to the post office, so that was my next stop. The lady at the counter gave me three APO flat rate boxes. Same size as the large priority mail boxes, but at a slightly cheaper rate. She also gave me labels and custom forms. My next stop was at the Vitamin Shoppe. I was impressed with their selection. I was able to get three of the things on my list (which no one else has had). Then I went to Office Depot to drop off some used printer cartridges for Dad. The young man wanted to sign me up for some program where you get credit for recycling, but I told him I don't live here. He said it was good in any state. I replied that I live in South Korea. He had to admit they had no stores there.
I went home and it was almost lunch time. Michele helped me put the drawer pull on the pot lid. The screw it came with was too big, but I found a shorter one in Dad's collection. Then I worked on the latch for the screen door. It took me three tries but I got it installed. One of the pieces was machined incorrectly so the screw wouldn't go all the way in. But close enough. Time for lunch. I added broccoli sprouts, kefir, and kimchi to what was on the table. After lunch I packed for the reunion this weekend, and filled the APO box and took it to the P.O. Then I went to Michaels for one last thing, and also Goodwill. Still didn't find a coffee grinder, but saw a dress I liked. It was a medium, but was too small at the top. Bummer! I went home, and my mother and I worked on the quilt top kit. I pinned the pieces together and she sewed them. Then she fixed supper while I tried to change settings on Dad's computer so he can send out e-mail from Outlook express. I thought I was successful, but the messages still aren't getting sent. After supper, I did some more sewing on the quilt top, then quit because my seam allowances are different from my mother's. I washed the dishes, and the countertops and the window sill, killing lots of ants in the process. We can't figure out where they are coming in. They have now infested the sugar and the flour so we need better containers. It rained again. Fourth day in a row. Doesn't slow down the ants.
I heard my mom fall and ran back to see. But my Dad was with her. He showed me her bruises. I think she falls every day. Never breaks anything though. And she only falls backwards. Her sense of balance doesn't work in that direction.
Finally it was bedtime, at least for Michele and me. Dad stayed up as usual to get more done. I think he needs more sleep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your quest to find a coffee grinder! I'm looking for one here, as well. When dabout:blanko you come back?

Crissie said...

Fern... for the ants if you don't like spry or those ant grants (they must have those at Home Depot) things with poison ~ Try dusting a little comet or A-Jacks or even Boraxo can discourage ants. If your dad will let you. Better then poison. Sounds like your mother and Dad are enjoying your visit. Good luck on finding the coffee grinder. I don't drink coffee but love the aroma, would a blender help?
You sound like such a wonderful daughter! I'm sure they will be sad to see you leave!
Crissie