Friday, November 19, 2010

Decorating for the auction

I got up before 8, exercised, had breakfast, showered and pondered what to wear. I wasn't sure I would have a chance to come home and dress up before the auction, so I tried to wear something nice all day. Finally Maryann called in a panic because I wasn't there yet, and I just grabbed something to wear later and ran out. I met her at the gym. She had found some volunteers, led by her husband, to blow up helium balloons. So we decorated the gym with black, purple and silver balloons. At 3 I went home to make a silver top to wear with black pants and a purple scarf that I made from scraps leftover from the table toppers. Unfortunately there was a pattern piece missing and I had to draft another one. So I did not finish the silver one, but wore the gold one instead. I drove to the gym at 5:45. I staked places for myself and Sonyo at table 29. Maryann and Bob had places saved there too. I looked at all the items for bid, both silent and live. I walked around for a bit, then got in the food line. There was a platter of fresh vegetables. And I had a meatball, and some shaved ham and turkey. Everything else was empty carbs. There were two food stations and three bars set up. They did everything they could to push drinks. I mean the Main Post Club that was catering the event. There was a half hour of nothing after the silent auction closed and before the live auction started. I was bored and tired, but couldn't leave because I had to be there to clean up. I did not bid on anything because the prices went up rather quickly. The kimono quilt we did went for $600 live and the small one brought $100 in the silent auction. I do not know how much the tablerunner brought. It was at $20 when I last saw it. Once the event was over, we started cleaning quickly. I collected up all the little plastic stars that we scattered everywhere. We also had a LOT of balloons to deal with. Some people took some home, and a group of young men were happy to oblige in popping them. Some of the teenagers took some to suck out the helium and sing silly songs. It took over an hour, but we got it done. Then there was a stack of pizzas AFSC bought to feed the teen volunteers, but they didn't eat them. So I took two for Michele, and for Chris when he finally gets home. When I got home, I put the pizzas in the fridge, and got on my computer to blog. Chris is also on Skype so I am texting him, too.

No comments: