Tuesday, November 9, 2010

November luncheon

I got up to make breakfast and maybe sew a binding on a small quilt so I would have some handwork to do at the luncheon. But there just wasn't enough time. Michele got up late and raced to college. I dressed up and went to the AFSC luncheon. I was early of course, so I could shop before setting up a place to sign up new quilt members. While hurriedly going through the fabric for sale (there are vendors selling their wares for 2 hours before the luncheon starts), I was asked to pick out 5 packets for the donation to the AFSC. Tables are free to the vendors, but they have to donate $25 worth of merchandise to AFSC for a raffle. That slowed me down and so I did not get set up until just after 10. I bought over $100 worth of fabric. I laid my purple quilt top on a table and sat behind it. But only one person signed up in almost an hour. Oh well. I tried. Then at 11 we went into the ballroom to sit at our tables. They had a red, white and blue there. It was a plated dinner with chicken, beef brisket, potatoes and some vegetables. There was a roll, too, which I saved for Michele and forgot to give to her. There was also apple pie and icecream, but I was unable to save that. Kinda messy. After we ate, we had a speaker who is a dr. and goes to N. Korea to help them with their TB problem. 5% of their population has it. Their medical facilities are primitive at best. It was heartwrenching to see the pictures. I think we all gave money to help him buy medicines, and supplies.
After the luncheon I drove Cathy over to the SPC and I picked up my onion soup which I left there yesterday. Then I drove over to Chris' office to pick up the mail. Usually they put it on his desk, but someone closed his door and it locked. No one knows how to open it. Chris says he has the combination on a slip of paper in his desk. Oh well. There was a package for me that came in after the door was locked. It had sewing machine feet in it. I took that, and all my fabric home. I started washing it all up, drying it, ironing it,etc. I think I took it out of the dryer too soon because it took me all the rest of the day to iron it dry. I was expecting Michele to come home at 6 to cook supper, but she didn't show, so finally I heated up the onion soup and ate that. It turns out that she had a make-up class. That is when the professor misses class and the students have to make it up. By the time I finished ironing, it was time to Skype with Faye. It was really good to see and talk to her. It made me late posting to my blog, but it was worth it.

No comments: