Monday, November 29, 2010

Finally found the sewing machine repair section of Seoul

After making the sandwich, I slept in until just after 8. I had a quick breakfast and skim of e-mail, before preparing some cheese for lunch. I wanted to be early to quilting, but what with trying to fashion a handle for the new cutting mat that came in, I was late. First I drove to the SPC to drop off my stuff and unlock the cabinets where we store stuff. Then I walked to gate 10 to sign Sue onto post. Usually Judy does that, but she is still out of town. When we got back to the SPC, Mary was there and helped us to set up. We got a slow start on our work due to discussion of the SIWA bazaar (which is tomorrow). Then Cathy came in. She just got back from China last night. She had all sorts of tales to relate, so that took up a bunch more time. It was funny that she said they had a great time, but the anecdotes she told were all negative. We did get some baby quilts finished that we started last week. Several other ladies dropped by as well. Cathy bought the mat for one of the other ladies, so I was glad I brought it. I signed Sue off post, and then we had a late lunch, just cheese, salad, and German chocolate cookies. No cookies for me of course. Then we packed up. I headed to gate 17 and Dongdaemun. First I found the 30 tassels that Ralu wanted. Then I bought hooks and eyes. I'll bet there are 100 in that bag! Finally I went to the Happy Quilt man to buy planet fabric and of course I got some others too. The young man that works there speaks English, so I asked him to write down the Korean word for 'spool pin'. Apparently that doesn't translate, so I drew a picture. He then told me to go to Euljiro 4. But then he thought of a place in the basement, and his father told him to take me there. (I had no idea what he was saying) So we went together. The man downstairs apparently told him to go to one of the places down by the engineers complex. And he walked me there. He stopped at each shop, and they all said 'no'. So then he took me PAST the engineers complex and hailed a taxi. He told the driver to take me to Euljiro to the sewing store. Then he left as I was whisked off. But the driver did not take me all the way there. He pulled up to the curb at an intersection and waved to the right, telling me something in Korea. What could I do? I paid him ($2), and headed to the right. I had to show my drawing to several shopkeepers until I was led to the right shop on a back street. The spool pin was only $1. The owner asked me where I was from. That question always throws me because I think I look unmistakably American. But I told him anyway. After I left, I walked around for awhile looking at all the different shops. One was an upscale quilting-type shop. Then I bought myself a roll of kimbap, and headed home on the subway. I finished eating it by the time I passed the guard at the gate to post. I drove to my gate and walked home. I expected to see Chris since it was after 5, but he stayed really late at work. Guess that month in California left him a lot of work to catch up on. Michele was even later. I fell asleep watching her latest Netflix movie: The Book of Kells. Then Chris woke me up to go to bed, but I got on this computer to post to my blog. I was unable to resist going through my inbox. But this time I was ruthless in deleting unread e-mails. I sent in an order to Swansons and wrote a price list for the Joanns order that came in so I know what to sell the items for. Now I am looking forward to going to bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you see a difference between vietnamese and chinese people??
I can't see any difference between american and australian... That's why they ask you...
I know they ask every time... but it's korea :)

Fern said...

I can't see the difference, but I can hear it in their speech.