Wednesday, December 15, 2010

First place, but no crystal trophy

Well, after making the sandwich, in spite of my best intentions to stay up, I went back to bed for an hour. Then I had breakfast, skimmed through e-mail, and readied all my packages and cards to be mailed. However, I was two custom forms short. I put them all in a box, and carried them to post. Brrr, it was cold!!! I drove to the post office and mailed them all. Then I saw Star, and helped her a little with her boxes. Then Lili dropped by. She was disappointed that their credit card machine wasn't working, so I went with her to the other post office, and sat with her baby boy until she finished mailing her package. He was very fussy so I told him a story about a dragon who didn't want to share his toys. It was tough to tell because I had to make it up as I went. She dropped me off at the thrift shop and I spent almost an hour shelving books. Chris came by the thrift shop to peruse the DVD selection and walk me to the AnC center. They were having an awards ceremony for the local photography contest, and the Army-wide arts-n-crafts contest. I figured it would be a small thing since they held it in a small room. But no, that room was so crowded there was hardly space to walk forward. I won first place in the Army-wide fibers category. I wanted a shiny crystal trophy, but they are only for local winners. All I got was a $300 check and a certificate. Must be a big deal, though, for the army to part with $300. Chris said I can buy my own trophy now. They had a cake, sandwiches, fresh fruit and veggies, snacks, etc. We ate a little, then Chris left, and I went home. I was on my computer when he got home, with mail. Now I have three checks to deposit. He made bean soup for supper, with garlic and onions. I added some cranberry mash to it. That stuff keeps pretty well. I listened to a few interviews. I heard that the FDA is trying to make it illegal to sell raw milk in the U.S. That would be sad if it happens. Finally I pushed myself away from the computer to sew. I decided to make a purse like the one my student started last week, just to be sure I have a good handle on how to do it. I did not get finished, but I should have some time tomorrow if I don't go back to bed. I also started a new bag of bean sprouts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay how are you NOT a local winner? You're assigned to Yongsan.
Just like the Army to make life a bit confusing--even the rewarding times like last night. AL

Fern said...

Well, in the local contest, which was this summer, my quilt came in second, after a knife sheath. So I didn't win the battle, but I won the war. Mr. knife sheath can kiss my dust!