Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Buying fabric and eating out

I got up with Chris to make his sandwich and to get started on my day. I had breakfast, shower, and e-mail before I met Lili by the pedestrian bridge. We drove to the embassy compound, where a larger group was gathering in two vans to go to the Happy Quilt warehouse. I was in the minority not having a child with me. There was a little traffic getting out of Seoul, but then it was pretty smooth driving. We had no trouble finding the place. I think I was the only one who had been there before. The van had no heat, and the warehouse was cold. But then, I knew it would be so I had fuzzy socks, sweatpants, and gloves. Still, I was cold. The kids must have been, too. I did not need any fabric, but bought 'some' anyway. A few hours later, we drove back to post. Lili drove me home even though I insisted I could carry my bag of fabric over the pedestrian bridge. Her thoughtfulness was appreciated. I had some lunch, talked to Julia, and read a few more e-mails. I wanted to get to the bank before it closed, and cut it close. When I got to my car in the parking lot, it wouldn't start (lights were on). So I called Chris to deliver me to the DHL. While I was waiting for him to arrive, the lady parked in front of me drove away. So I pushed my car into that space so my hood was where I could easily get to it to jump it. Chris did not have time to jump it then because he had a 3pm meeting. So at his office he jumped out and I drove his car to the DHL. I am not sure I made it by 3, but they let me in and I got what I needed. Then I went home. Around 4:30 I called Chris and told him I was dressed to go out to eat. He was agreeable, so I drove over there, and we went to the gas station gate. From there we walked into Itaewon and to Zelen's (Bavarian restaurant). But they did not open until 6! So we walked around inside the Hamilton hotel. Of course we were bombarded by sales ladies trying to sell jewelry, scarves, knickknacks, etc. At 6 we went to Zelens and they seated us by the window. It was very nice, and the waiters were good-looking. The food was outstanding, too. I had stuffed tomatoes and the seafood plate (which was a large pile of bivalve shells). That made eating it with a knife and fork a real workout. Chris had eggplant, and a chicken dish. Upon checking out, Chris spoke to the proprietor who was from Bavaria. Then we walked home, freezing with every step. I did stop to buy some persimmons. We decided to go straight home, leaving the dead car for tomorrow. We all had some computer time, Michele ate my remaining stuffed tomato (cream cheese stuffing), and one by one, went to bed.

No comments: