Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Dongdaemun

I got up before 7 to get ready for second grade. I was out of the apartment before 8, and parked at the theater. It was the closest open space to the school. Again I noticed the "100% ID Check" sign on the door, and again, no one asked to see my ID. I signed it at the office and proceeded to Ms. Jackson's room. I was early, but she let me play with the smart board lesson in advance to become familiar with it. The lesson involved breaking large Hershey bars into 4ths and 3rds. Most of them were very good at it. At the end, they got to eat 1/12th of it, and put the rest into a baggie with their initials on it. What I learned is that using a smart board is a recipe for frustration. It should be easy to tap and move images around, but it seldom cooperated and we wasted a lot of time. But the kids had a ball. At the end, the teacher gave me a chocolate bar, too. I signed out at the office, and took my car to gate 17, where I parked and took the subway to Dongdaemun. I was surprised to find the car park walled off with the name Marriot posted on each side. Traffic was routed down the orange avenue and it made walking dangerous. I met Sue there, and we started by visiting the label man in D1. I scouted around the area while she ordered two kinds of labels. I bought a large hank of cording for the price of a few yards in the states. Then we visited Mr. Kang to return all the fabric bags from Tuesday. I bought a remnant there, and he bought mango drinks for Sue and me. That really hit the spot. Then we walked across the river to another building. Sue showed me where the Marathon thread store was. I did not get stabilizer, but I did buy two large cones of embroidery thread for $7. On the second floor we found MANY label stalls. And lots of T-Shirt printing places. When we left, we stopped by a money changer for won, and then went to eat in the Doota building. I wanted kimbap, but had to settle for octopus bibimbap. And boy, was it spicy! We talked for a long time, and then went back to Dongdaemun to look for a roll of woven strap for bag handles. She told me that we should come at 1am and the prices would be better. It could happen. Then we went our separate ways. I took the subway back to post. The escalator which was broken on my way over was now fixed so I did not have to climb the steps to exit 1. I drove my car over to the golf parking lot, and sat on the ground to read. Then I went home. I washed the other half of my fabric purchase from Tuesday along with the cording and strapping. Sue said it needed shrinking before I used it, so I decided that the resulting tangled balls were her fault. In the untangling process, I decided that I now have more cording than I will ever use in my lifetime. Isn't Dongdaemun a great place! After supper we watched "A Royal Wedding" starring Fred Astaire. That was nice and relaxing. But I had unread e-mail left and reduced it to 20 something. And now it is time for bed. * I took a lot fewer pics in D than I thought. So here is another one from Tokyo. I think this is the next one in line. *

No comments: