Thursday, April 28, 2011

Volunteer of the Year Ceremony

After my usual morning routine, I went to the thrift shop. Only two other people were there, and no managers. So we did what we wanted to. Ella dropped by in between doing tasks related to setting up the VOY dinner tonight. I shelved books, DVD's, CD's, and games. Then I straightened out the book room. I left a few minutes early to go to the little park and read. It was sunny until I got there. It was cloudy while I read. Then when I left, the sun came back out. Coincidence? Hmmm. I went home to have a late lunch/early supper. I wasn't sure how much of the VOY dinner I would eat. I dressed in a blue and tan pantsuit to match Chris's brown suit and blue tie. He picked me up at the gate and dropped me off at Collier Field House. I waited while he parked the car. Then we picked up my certificate of appreciation and walked into the gymnasium which was decorated for the occasion. We found a table that was too close to the band for Chris' liking. I wandered over to say 'hello' to the thrift shop group assembled at another table. Then MaryAnn and Bob walked in. They sat at our table. Cathy and Terry sat at our table too, until they got moved to the Sharp's table (as in THE General Sharp). I was asked too, but elected to stay where we were. Then Mary and Troy came in and sat with us. When the dinner started, we got in line. I took a tiny bit of rice, potatoes, and corn. I had half a plate of salad, and a little meat. There were no seconds because one of the serving ladies took my plate and utensils as soon as I finished my food. During the ceremony, many people were honored for their volunteerism. I watched them go up so I could note the process. Shake Gen. Sharp's hand, pause for a pic showing off the certificate of Achievement, shake Col. Huber's hand, then leave the stage. It looked so easy. But when they called my name I found out that each of those men had a ceremonial coin in his hand to pass to me, and I fumbled trying to hold the coins, and the certificate, and shake hands. But I was much calmer than last year. And Chris still doesn't have any coins:(
We stood around talking afterward. Then the whole thrift shop staff got their pic taken on stage (see pic). We talked to Mrs. Sharp for a little bit, Chris introduced me to the M.C. and then I saw the thrift shop banner taken down and left in a heap. I looked around for the thrift shop staff, but they seemed to be gone. So I folded it up and we took it home. When I got home, I called Melanie to see how class was going (remember our usual Thursday night classes?) She told me they were doing the best they could considering the cabinets were locked. I wished that I had thought about it when we left Collier Field house. I would have gone over there. So I called Cathy and she went over to unlock it. But the time was late so we will just have to try this class again another week. I cleared more e-mail and I was down to 18 unread e-mails when I started this post. Time for bed.

No comments: