Monday, April 25, 2011

Newcomers learn to quilt

It was a little after 7 when I got up. Apparently my alarm was not set. I showered, ate part of my breakfast, skimmed e-mail, and then headed out the door early, and with a bag of recyclables. I left early because I wanted to have time to work on my demo on making baby quilts. I needed quilt tops in all parts of the process. When I got to the SPC, there were men cleaning the floor. I stayed out of their way as much as I could, while still setting up the cutting mat, ruler, cutter, and machine that I needed. I did not finish before the first people came. We had invited the new people who had signed up at the luncheon to come for a demo and breakfast snacks. Mary and Cathy set up the food and coffee. When I got one top completed, I started the demo. When I got to the part where we sandwich the layers, I was told we had used up all our batting, and Cathy went to get more from home. But it really went well. The newcomers jumped right in helping to make the quilts, and the whole group got a lot done. We had a great turnout. Chris came by to get his sandwich, and I swear I jumped a foot 'cause I didn't hear him coming. We worked late, and we kinda had a board meeting afterward. We decided to ask for more money for fabric and batting. We are being so productive that the fabric just disappears. Then I went home to eat the rest of my breakfast, and clear e-mail. First Michele came home, and later Chris. We had leftovers for supper. Chris and Michele left together to see a movie. I had the apartment to myself, so I continued my search for the elusive spare phone battery. Tonight's search turned up two fortune cookies from 2008. That raised the question - if I read the fortune, is it describing my future or my past? Anyway, I pondered where in the apt could a battery hide that I would never have seen it in the last two years. When the answer came to me, it was so simple that I wondered why I hadn't thought of it before. Michele's room. And there it was, on her dresser. I plugged it into the docking station to power up. She later admitted to having seen the docking station but didn't realize there was a battery in it. I then went to process scraps in my sewing room, and to resew and press the backing for my dahlia quilt. I was watching a movie in there when my family returned. Michele told me I was watching Twilight, and that I wouldn't like it. So I turned it off. While they sat with their laptops, I cleaned the popsicle molds, I juiced carrots, celery and cucumber, and I washed the juicer. Then I made Chris' sandwich for tomorrow. Guess it is time for bed now.
* I was so busy at quilting today that I forgot to take pictures. Here is another quilt from the Tokyo show *

No comments: