Friday, April 15, 2011

Youido cherry blossoms

I started reading my e-mail before breakfast, and then got to a video that needed time to download, so I prepared my breakfast while waiting. When I got it down to 40 unread messages, I quit, and put the next set of borders on my dahlia quilt. I inadvertently took a Sudoku break which lasted until 1pm. It was my plan to leave at 1, but then I had to check e-mail one last time. I saw Mary Ann was on-line and invited her to come with me to Youido park. She wasn't ready so she agreed to meet me there. I walked to post, and drove to gate 12. I memorized my intended trip: from Noksapyeong 2 stops to Gongdeok, change to purple line, three stops to Youido and take exit 3. Well, two stops past Noksapyeong is Hyochang Park station. I was on pins and needles wondering if it was a new station, or if Gongdeok had been renamed. Turned out to be a new station. When I got off at Youido, I picked up a new subway map. Then, there was a sign proclaiming exit 3 under construction. So I took exit 4, it was labeled Youido Park. However, when I got out of the exit, there was no park to be seen. A nearby signboard had a map that indicated an ecological park two blocks to the south. So I went that way. But no park appeared. Looking to my right, I saw trees instead of buildings, so I turned that way. I found myself on a street of cherry blossoms. See 1st pic. Behind the trees, the ground slopes steeply like a river bank. But at the bottom is grass and paths. Thinking that must be the park, I walked down there. I called Mary Ann to tell her to take exit 4. Then I walked along the bank, looking for a quiet place to sit and read. On the other side was a freeway, so there was no 'quiet' to be had. However, I did find a spot where the noise of other pedestrians was drown out by the traffic, and I sat on a bench, with one foot bare, reading. Mary Ann called me when she reached exit 4. By then I didn't know where I was in relation to it. So we traded landmarks, finding little in common. Then I walked back up to the tree-lined street so she could see me. But somehow, she appeared down in the gully, trying to call me. So we found each other, and she had passed Youido park on her way over, so we walked around there. They were having some sort of celebration with lots of tents set up. And a group of musicians playing LOUD music. People tried to talk to us, but I couldn't hear them. Finally we stopped to buy some kimbap and water. We sat and talked for awhile, but the weather turned cold and windy. So we headed toward the subway. We passed a stand selling fries. I got the squid fries and she got the others, which were quite crunchy and tasted like sweet potatoes. We headed back to Noksapyeong. We split up there, she going to meet her husband at work, and me to get my car. I walked in gate 12, and took the car to my walk-in gate. But Chris was walking up the street so I stopped to pick him up, and took him to his office to get something he left there. We went home, then, and had leftovers. But I didn't eat much, having just eaten kimbap and squid. I amused myself with more e-mail, finally getting to watch the rest of the latest TQS episode (It has only taken three days to watch this one hour video). When Chris asked me if I wanted to watch Big Bang Theory, I happily agreed. I added another ball of selvege edges to my rug, and crocheted while we watched what turned out to be the last of the episodes on his computer.

No comments: