Thursday, April 7, 2011

Watermelon pincushion class

I stayed in bed until I heard Michele leave for school. We have chimes attached to the door, so it 'announces' every opening of the door. I had breakfast with e-mail, and finished quilting a baby quilt by stitching in the ditch. I tried my walking foot, but it was no better than the open-toe embroidery foot. Then I used the old machine that I got at the thrift shop and fixed up. It worked fine and the motor sounds really good. Too bad it is a cabinet model. I set the machine on a suitcase cart and left it by the door. When I was ready to leave, I rolled it behind me as I walked to post, in the rain. I put it in the trunk and drove to the thrift shop. They had just gotten another sewing machine in. It was a Singer also, and had the same foot pedal connection, but the motor didn't sound as good and it had a bad hesitation problem. I left there at 2:30 and went home. I ate lunch, tried to clear e-mail, but the internet was so slow, that I took a Sudoku break. Chris came home to fix leftover pork. I gathered some red and green fabric scraps for class (we are making watermelon pincushions) and went back to post, this time carrying a couple of cutting mats. I got to the SPC after 6, but had time to get everything out of the closet before anyone showed up. I opened a lot of windows because the room was very warm. Two new ladies came, and one needed help with her machine. Turned out to be a mis-threaded bobbin. Melanie set up her table, bringing the watermelon and strawberry pincushions, and the fabrics to make a lime one. While she showed Cathy and the new ladies how to do that, I was helping Shannon sew patches on her GS vest. Someone came to buy a mat, but decided to wait until she PCS's to get it so it won't get damaged in packing. But one of the new ladies bought a mat and two rulers. And someone else whose name escapes me bought the old Singer sewing machine. Then it was time to go home. More e-mail, but I think I am ready for bed.
* I forgot to take a pic of the pincushion, so here is another quilt from Tokyo *

No comments: