Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Another busy day


Knowing I had an early dental appointment, I got up to fix breakfast for my mother and I. When breakfast was over, it was time for me to get myself ready. She was on her own with Dad. I took the Oldsmobile to Salisbury to see Dr. Angus. The receptionist had paperwork for me to fill out, but first she had all kinds of questions about South Korea. A little while later I was in an exam room having my teeth cleaned. She took my blood pressure and it was good, but I was not as relaxed as I intended to be. I was happy to finally have clean teeth. I had tried scraping off the black line stain, but it was impossible. Before she was done, the dentist came in. Like the receptionist, he wanted to talk about North and South Korea first. Then he checked my teeth. He said the black line stain was from gastric reflux. I thought I would know something like that, but he said many people don't know they have it. Apparently the acid is eating away at my teeth. He told me my fillings need to be replaced. I agreed, since I don't want the mercury fillings in my mouth. I was astounded when they had an opening for tomorrow. So I will be going back for new fillings. After the visit, I stopped by the large Kroger on the way home. I bought fresh veggies to juice, and coconut milk. When I got home, Dad was trying to get ready for the fitness center, but couldn't trust Mom to stay put when he was out of the room. Amazingly, she had made it to the utility room once. So he gave up going to the fitness center and started getting lunch ready. I juiced up some broccoli, celery, carrots, red pepper, and kale. I gave Mom a glass of it. Then the man across the street came over with a platter of strawberry muffins that his wife had just made. He and Dad showed their age by discussing which of them owned the best sliderule. They set a time to go for a walk in the evening. After he left, we finished lunch. Kevin came over about 2. Dad left for the audiologist soon after. Kevin ran the vacuum, watered the plants, and made two casseroles. I finished the binding on the star quilt, and pulled out all the basting on the piping. Then Mom asked me to finish a quilt top that she had started last year at this time. But Dad appeared right after that with two shirts that needed mending. The new Diaper Genie arrived in the mail, so Kevin and I put it together and set it in the bathroom. I put the boxes in recycling. Then we took Mom to the bathroom to try it out. It works, though not quite like I thought. Kevin cleaned the bathrooms and washed the kitchen floor. Soon after that Dad stuck food in the microwave so they could eat in time to go walking with the man across the street. When he came over, Kevin and I talked to him until Dad and Mom were ready. I ate after they left. I wrote Kevin a check for July, and gave him Season two of McGyver. I also gave him a probiotic capsule so he can make his own fermented coconut milk. After he left, I started checking e-mail. Dad arrived shortly thereafter. He wanted to take Mom walking again. So I followed with the wheelchair. On Sandgate, she decided to stop walking and get wheeled. We got her home and to the bedroom without incident. It was bath night, so I filled the tub and got her in. She did most of her washing, I just did her back, and then called Dad to help her out. As we were drying her off, we noticed a trickle of blood down her leg. So Dad washed it and put on a small bandaid. I finished dressing her for bed. Then we put her splint back on and tucked her in for the night. As Dad was puttering around getting ready to take his bath, I skimmed my e-mail for things I could delete without reading. I got a nice e-mail from my husband which I did not delete. It is almost 11:30 so I think I will go to bed.
* The barrier that the next door neighbor has erected over Dad's property line to keep her dogs in. *

No comments: