Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A nice evening


I got up thinking it was later than it was. Dad was ready to bring Mom to the table for breakfast. So she sat there while I fixed both our breakfasts. Then she ate while I put away the three loads of laundry I did yesterday. Then I ate. After breakfast I washed and dressed her. She sat in the den and watched me handsew the binding on her quilt. That is an activity that I worked on all day and still haven't finished. My Dad had lodged a pot lid in the dishwasher rack and neither one of us could get it out. When William stopped by at lunch, he got it out. We ate pork for lunch. After lunch Dad and I called Verizon to get the desktop computer on line. The young man was very helpful but was able to determine that the problem is in the computer itself, and not the router or the line. We cleaned up for Kevin to come over and vacuum, but he never showed up. I even called and he didn't answer. I made veggie juice, using up a bag of spinach and most of the remaining vegetables. I want to buy more veggies after I see what is left from Kevin's casseroles which he hasn't made yet. Dad wanted pictures of the barrier the ladies next door erected to keep their dogs in, because it sits across the utility easement. It should have been a short activity. It was for me, but he had to obsess over it, untangle some twine and re-string the marker for the property line. He cooked sliced sweet potatoes in the microwave. I had never seen that before, and I don't think they were done. Then he put them on plates with pork and casserole and microwaved that. I ate my pork cold with kimchi. I gave kimchi to both of them, too. When Dad had cleaned up, he took my Mom for s spin in her wheelchair. I hopped on the internet while they were gone. They came back just as I was reading an article on how coconut oil and a low carb diet helped an Alzheimer's patient get his life back. Dad wanted to take Mom for a walk and me to follow them with the wheelchair. It was a very nice night with a full moon and cicadas. I felt like the grim reaper, stalking them, waiting to scoop Mom up if she got tired. When they got home, she fell again, going up the stairs. Then we noticed that her shoe was missing. I felt her sock, and it did not feel dirty, so it had to be nearby. Dad gave me a flashlight to look for it down the street, but no luck. Turns out it was under the steps. During the search I kept wondering how she could lose a shoe without me seeing it. Thankfully she was not hurt, and we brought her to her feet. She walked into the house and sat in the den. I thought singing would be good for her, so I asked her what her favorite song was. Jesus lover of my soul. Well, I don't know that one, so I went to Youtube. There were many different versions, but I finilly found the one she knew. We both hummed. Then Dad took her to the bathroom. I looked up another song, I think is named "Come be my playmate". I remember it from childhood. My Dad says he remembered it too. So I don't know how old it is. But I remember that we did a clapping routine and I wanted Mom to do it. But she was ready to go to bed, so we dressed her and brushed her teeth and put her to bed. Then I did a few more stitches on the binding, but remembered that I have a dentist appt in the morning, so I should get to bed early.

No comments: