Monday, August 29, 2011

The few, the proud, the quilters


I got up just after Chris left. I dressed and went downstairs to read. The bench was full of sand. I wondered what parent let their kid do that and not clean it off afterwards. I read for almost an hour when the guard came by to pick up trash and clean the benches. Not wanting to be in his way, I went upstairs. I fixed breakfast and ate it with e-mail. I took a shower, dressed a little better, and cut up some cheese for lunch, slicing my finger in the process. Michele finished it for me. I soaked my sprouts in water and put them in the fridge 'cause the fruit flies were after them. I packed my brights on black quilt in a bag to take to quilt guild so I could trim it on a big table. I arrived at the SPC just before 9:30. One lady was waiting for a mat (my last one) so her husband could take it to work where it would be away from the heat until they went home. She also bought two rulers. She brought her friend, too. Two other ladies who were new last week showed up for a bit, then had to leave. Apparently today is a training holiday and husbands have time off. Turnout was low. As you can see in the picture, there were only 4 of us for lunch. Judy brought her birthday cake from that really expensive revolving restaurant at the top of Namsan tower. It looked really good, and really small. We talked about buying some new sewing machines, but we fear for the future of the group if we don't get new people who are willing to be officers. Some of us worked on baby quilts, and some on QOV. Three baby quilts were finished and ready to be delivered. We were packed up and out by 1. I toyed with the idea of going to Dongdaemun to get fabric to copy my new top, but I did not have quite enough energy for it. So I went home and juiced up more vegetables. That helped a lot. But then I used that energy to check out the sewing machine MaryAnn left me. At first it seemed to have a bobbin-launching feature. Never encountered that before. But I switched the metal bobbin for a plastic one and that stopped it. I don't know why it comes with 4 metal bobbins that don't work in it. Then I had to release the tension in the bobbin case to the absolute minimum. The top thread was still too loose, and the tension was cranked up to 9. So I added the bobbin thread guide to the top thread path. That gave it the needed tension to sew a balanced seam. I thought I might have it threaded wrong so I went online to find a manual. No joy in mudville. But I did come across a diagram of a similar machine, and saw I had it threaded correctly. That took far longer than I anticipated. I went back to working on the backing for my latest finished top. Chris came home, fixed supper, and brought me the mail. There was a letter from Linda, one of my friends in Augusta. Seems we share the same feeling about Obama's term in office. After supper we watched "The Wild".
Then Chris got a call from our real estate agent saying Michele's proposed apt is not a bad deal. I checked my e-mail one last time, and now am ready for bed. What a hot, sticky evening!

No comments: