Monday, August 1, 2011

Leaving the Beach

Sunday morning was kind of a blur. We packed up all the leftover food, and all the kitcheny things that Cecily brought. We stripped our beds, and left the sheets and towels in a pile as directed by the 'list of things to do when you leave', provided by the rental company. We vacuumed, and swiffered, and wiped, and swept. All the cars were packed and we were ready to go well before the 10am checkout time. We all headed out together like a caravan. Each car had a walkie-talkie. When the others wanted to stop at a rest area, Chris and I kept going. We drove straight through, with only one quick pitstop. Chris refueled just before pulling into the driveway at Alfred and Cecily's house. First I ate my three leftover hardboiled eggs. Then I tried to call my parents, but there was no answer. I called the number we had for Faye's cell phone, but no luck. I called Faye's house, too. Finally I got through to William. He said they all went out to lunch after church and would walk around the mall, and be back by 6. That must be one LONG walk! So I chatted with William until the other cars arrived. Then we all chipped in to unload the cars. I went downstairs to check e-mail, and was down there until the others decided to go to supper at Applebys. I tried calling my parents again, but there was no answer. So off to supper we went. After we had eaten, Michele and Becca ordered a luscious chocolate dessert. I just watched them eat. When we got home, I called again, and my Dad answered. He said to come right over, so I loaded my stuff in Chris' car, and Cecily gave me fresh veggies from her garden and Sheila's garden. Chris dropped me off and went back to visit some more with James and Becca. My parents were just finishing supper. I was alarmed to see how far my mother had gone. The house was a mess, and the smell was worse. But I sat with her and rubbed her hand while Dad told me how things were. We took her to the bathroom, then undressed her and put her to bed. I rubbed her feet for a long time, hoping to put her to sleep. But she just lay there looking stiff and uncomfortable. It was after 11 when I put myself to bed. My father stayed up to do a few last minute things at an agonizingly slow pace.

No comments: