Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Getting professional advice


Another dry, hot day. I slept in a little because I wasn't ready to get up. When I did get up, I looked in the mirror to discover large bags under my eyes. When did that happen? But they did not last. I brought my Mom out to the den until breakfast was ready. I helped Dad to feed her as I prepared and ate my own breakfast. After breakfast Chris took me shopping for peppers and tampons. Also we showed my mom's list of medications to the pharmacist at Rite Aid and at Kroger. They both thought there was no obvious adverse drug interaction. When we got back to the house, the plumber had arrived. He pulled out the stem of the faucet which was leaking and went looking for a replacement, but they don't make them anymore. So my Dad had to choose between a light rebuild (just new washers, o-rings, etc) or all new faucets. He took the less expensive route, but he had the man do all the tub and shower faucets. When the plumber left, it was time for lunch. We ate lunch, and then Dad walked to the garage to pick up the car and stop by Lowes for another drain kit. I tried to work on several quilts that my mom had ready for binding, but they were so bad that I didn't get very far. I had to take out what she had already done and for some reason the stitches were so small that it was impossible in several places. At 3:30 Chris took me to Panera Bread to meet with a lady from the Central Area on Aging (or something like that). She talked to us about adult day care centers, caregiver classes, in-home physical therapy, bath visits, and therapeutic recreation. My sister arrived late, having just gotten off work at the hospital. We talked to the lady until 5. When she left, the rest of us chatted a bit, then went back to the house. Kevin was there, making casseroles. He had already vacuumed the house and watered the plants. Chris was cooking too. Faye and I cleared the table, throwing out food that had been forgotten since who knows when. She set the table and the men brought in the food. We sat down to eat and chat. I had to bring out the kimchi of course. Kevin seemed to like it, Faye not so much. As it got later, Mom wanted her bath. Dad wasn't ready so I took her back there. I helped her get in the tub, but knew I could not get her out. She washed herself, and then I called Dad to left her out. We dried her off and dressed her for bed. I turned on the radio for her, and left. Chris let me check e-mail on his computer. There was too much to see it all. But now I am ready for bed.
* This is Dad at the fitness center yesterday *

No comments: