Thursday, August 25, 2011

Has Michele found an apartment?


Chris got up extra early (like before 5) to go to work, so I did not get up when he did. I got up at 6 when day light came in around the curtain. I dressed and went to the courtyard to read. There was not as much daylight as I expected, and I suppose there will be less and less each morning. At 7:15 I went upstairs for breakfast and e-mail. When I had dealt with all the new mail, I showered and dressed for the job fair. No, not for me, for Michele. I drove her there and we waited outside the meeting room for it to begin. Somehow a conversation started with the lady next to me. When I mentioned that Michele was my daughter, she seemed surprised. She thought we were friends. When Col. Huber arrived, we all went in and stood while he made his opening remarks. He kept it short and soon we were visiting different tables looking for someone who had a job fit for a college student with a busy schedule. Michele collected a few handouts and applications. Then I drove her home and I went to the thrift shop. The first item of business was to check out the donated sewing machine. I had been warned that it did not have a foot pedal, so I brought mine. It fit perfectly. I put the sewing machine through its paces and it did fine, but with a little hesitation. However, in order to sell it, we have to come up with a foot pedal for it. Hmm. There were a few books and I shelved those, and moved others to where they belonged. There was a lot of stuff out of place. There were also a lot of CD's. Half I threw into charity. The other half went into a bin in the electronics room. Having finished that, I counted a 1000 piece puzzle and put it out for sale. Ella had brought in her machine that she wants to sell privately. I looked it over and took a few notes so I could send an announcement to my 'list'. It is a Brother, kinda like my other machine, but lower end. Then we packed up for the day. I went to the commissary and bought veggies to juice. When I got home, I ate lunch first, then washed the produce, cut it up, juiced it, poured it into popsicle molds, and washed the juicer. The pulp went into the kimchi jar. Then I needed a break. I checked e-mail for awhile. Chris came home while I was reading a book, and he started supper. The Netflix offering came in: "My Super Ex-girlfriend". It took us all evening to watch it because Michele kept getting phone calls. First, it seemed like her friend had found them a wonderful apartment to share, but it was going fast and they needed to decide right away. After many questions, it finally came out that a $70,000 deposit was required. Dealbreaker! So we went back to the movie. Amazingly, her future roommate called back with another deal on another apartment. But this one is not moving as fast, so we have time to look into it. Finally finish the movie. At first I thought that I wanted her to stay with us until we left. But now I think if she moves out soon, we will have time to help her make it a home before we leave. Time to make the sandwich and go to bed.
* Quilttop of Valor *

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt top for QOV.
Wow- Michele will stay behind and finish college? Or will she transfer to where you go? I know its all up in the air...AL from CA.