Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Traveling back to Seoul


We flew a puddle jumper from Richmond to Newark. We had no trouble traversing the Newark airport 'cause there was no luggage to pick up. Easy to get to our departure gate. We sat there and ate some walnuts and hard boiled eggs that I had brought. When boarding started, I asked the Continental agent about crediting our sky miles. She directed me to customer service. They gave me a form to fill out but there was no time to do that. We boarded and sat in row 27. It was the last row in that section so we were up against a wall. Could not recline much, although the person ahead of me did. That brought the movie screen on the back of the seat a little too close. During the 12 hour flight, we watched a lot of movies to pass the time. I never checked my watch because I didn't want to know how slowly time might be passing. Between supper and breakfast, they served a chicken wrap and ice cream snack. I gave Michele my ice cream. Normally I would not eat a chicken wrap because it is so processed, but I was hungry and tired of nuts. So I ate it, but did not feel good afterwards. Before we landed they served us a multilayer sandwich. I ate the egg layer, and the pastrami layer and threw the rest away. Did not feel good on that either. I did not sleep on the plane, even though we tried resting our heads on each others shoulders. When we got off in Narita, we easily found the departure gate for the flight to Korea. We had a four hour layover and there were few people waiting, so we stretched out across the seats and slept a little bit. We also had a front row seat for seeing a plane being unloaded, reloaded, re-fueled and food restocked. When that plane left, our plane arrived and the process repeated itself. The luggage arrived in large boxed containers on 'wagons' pulled by a small car. They were rolled off onto a conveyer which held two boxes at a time. Then it rose up to the level of the plane storage compartment and rolled the boxes into the hold. Then it collapsed down to ground level and picked up two more luggage boxes. I got in line at the desk to request sky miles. There was no one helping customers for awhile. Finally one lady did, but it was too much for her. Then another lady came to help. When I got up to the desk, they gave me new boarding passes (which I had not known we needed), and told me I had to do sky miles on-line. It annoyed me that I had to stand in line so long just to be told that. I was so tired I could hardly stand. There was a ringing in my head. Since more people had arrived, Michele and I tried to sleep propped against each other for support. Boarding was easy since we were assigned seats in the next to the last row. It was about a two hour flight, and we watched episodes of Big Bang theory. We were given arrival cards to fill out. I asked Michele to do mine as well as hers 'cause my eyes would not focus well enough. I had no trouble with my ears until we landed. My left ear would not pop. And it was raining. I ate some nuts to fortify myself through immigration, baggage claim, customs, and finding a way back to Seoul. I planned on catching the Capital Hotel bus which would cost $15 each. But I was amazed and so very pleased to discover that that was unnecessary. I called Chris from baggage claim to warn him that we were coming (in case he had girlfriends to evict or wild parties to clean up). He said he was in the short term parking lot at the airport! When we had found our luggage (it was not the carousel listed on the sign), we walked through customs to find him waving. After using the restroom, we went home. He used his GPS and we had a few uncomfortable moments when we weren't sure what it was telling us to do. When we walked in the apt, I could tell it was clean even before the lights came on. That was courtesy of MaryAnn. She had also left a note on a bag of cat food. It was a 'cat starter kit'.
The note was signed by Rusty and Cinnamon. They thought we should get a cat. Ha, ha. She had also left a thankyou card with two bills in it. Michele asked for part of it for her contribution to cat care, so I started to rip a piece off of one bill, and she said "Don't you dare!". I nearly fell asleep on the couch. It had been 29 hours since we had started our journey. Chris took me to bed and undressed me. I slept soundly all night. I got up about 7, and started breakfast but needed some nuts in my suitcase. So I unpacked my suitcase and carry-ons. Did not find the pecans. Just my remaining hb egg and ground flax seed. I put bean seeds in a bowl to soak. I fired up my computer to get the anti-virus program to start. I so badly wanted to lay down then, but forced myself to finish preparing and eating breakfast. I rested for awhile, and then started a loaf of bread. I tossed most of the mail that Chris left in two piles for me. Several envelopes contained Half-square triangles and I kept those. Hella's fabric had come in, and some catalogs. Michele composed her ideal list of classes at 7. At 9 the war for class sign up started. In 45 seconds she declared victory. She had gotten all of the classes she wanted! I sat down at my computer to check my 150 unread e-mails and perform other e-mail related chores. Like posting to this blog before I forget what happened yesterday.

No comments: