Friday, August 12, 2011

Packing for them and for me


After being up till one in the morning, I still woke up before 7. I fixed breakfast for Mom and me. I went to get her but she appeared to be sleeping. So I folded all the laundry from last night. Then she was stirring so I got her up for breakfast. Dad put out her pills in their individual cups, and told me to see that she takes them in order. He left to take the car to Sears for a lube job, then walked back. We had just started the pill procedure. I gave them with applesauce. I took Mom to the bedroom to wash and to pack. She told me what she wanted to wear for this weekend. I put it in her suitcase. Then we went to the kitchen to make sandwiches. I made three for this evening with lettuce, tomato, turkey and cheese. Then I made three more without tomato for tomorrow. I washed and set aside a large bunch of grapes. Following Faye's list, I made sure the picnic basket had all its items. She had a list for everything, including what to do each day of the week to prepare to leave town on Saturday. She had a list of how to pack the car, what goes in each piece of luggage, and what to check the house for before locking the doors. I followed the parts I knew. We ate lunch. I used all the leftover vegetables to make juice. I tried to hurry Dad, but each thing had to be done slowly and deliberately. I told him that Faye would kill me if I did not have him ready by 4:30. Michele and Alfred came over around 2. I was hoping Michele would visit with Mom, but Mom wasn't saying much. Still, I think she enjoyed listening to our conversations. Dad packed in his own way. There wasn't much I could do, but I did it. I packed my stuff and Alfred put it in his car. I found a few items that almost escaped my attention and packed them in my purse. I came across a fruit basket that Mom said was given at Christmas. I could identify the grapes, and the banana. Mom identified a plum, and that 'stone' in the corner might have been a grapefruit at one time. I threw them all out. At 4 I packed the cooler. It was close to 5 when Faye showed up. She really took charge, having been through this before. When everything was in the car, Alfred, Michele and I left for my in-laws house. Hopefully Mom, Dad, and Faye left soon after for Kurt's place. Cecily had rotisserie chicken and wild rice ready for supper. We were soon enjoying the meal. Olivia and William really liked the chicken. I ate 4 tomatoes from the garden. We chatted after supper and then Chris called. He talked to all the adults. He said if nothing better comes up by next week, his next job will be in Huntsville, Alabama. After a while, Cecily and the kids went to bed. I read e-mail for a time and posted to my blog. I am so looking forward to going to bed myself.
* This is the quilt top I finished yesterday *

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What? You're leaving Seoul?
When does C want to be at his new job?
Hope you got a pleasant night's rest.
AL from CA