Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cat comes back

As I lay awake in bed last night, I imagined my morning going perfectly. I saw myself waking up at 7, eating breakfast, showering, and fixing myself up for my driver's license photo. I imagined sun as I drove to post. I saw myself as second in line, and everything going smoothly. I topped it off with a trip to the P.O. to find that the supplements I ordered last week were here. And a quick stop at Wal-Mart for more tubs.
Well, I woke at 6:50, had breakfast, showered, used the blow dryer and a little make-up. I dressed nicely. The sun peaked through the clouds on the way to post. I stood in line behind one person. So far so good. But several people that had been in the line were sitting and filling out forms. So I was more like 4th. It started to rain, and as I sat in front of the examiner, the heavens opened up and the rain came down in blankets. That wasn't part of the plan. However, after receiving a paper license with a two-week promise for the real one, I left the commissary and went to the post office. And indeed, my supplements had arrived:) I smiled all the way home. I did not stop at Wal-Mart because of the rain. I was tidying upstairs in the computer room, and then trying to redress the windows in the guest and computer rooms. I happened to look out the window and see a large cat walking across our porch (see, cat came back). When I went downstairs to get more curtain rod pieces, I noticed water on the floor. Indeed, there was water in several places, and puddling where boxes were stacked. I called the rental agent and left a message. Then I e-mailed Chris. The rental agent called back to say he and his wife were coming over to see it. When they saw it, they went home for old towels, and called the assistant for a wet vac. The assistant came first, with his girlfriend. He tried to suck it up, but he did not have a nozzle for the vac and it was spitting water out the back. Then Bob arrived with an armload of towels. They used them to soak up the water and helped me move boxes and furniture out of the way. I sopped up water with a small towel and a bucket. Bob inspected the area, and decided what was wrong and how to fix it, but said he'd come back on a dry day. Just after they left, around 4, the cable man showed up. He ran cable from the garage, through the wall, into the basement to the TV. That is when I noticed water in the closet. None of the ideas Bob had would explain the water in the closet. As the cable man worked, I unpacked more boxes. I found a clock from Germany (in pieces) and chocolate coin wrappers. Was the chocolate eaten before or after they were put in storage? I even found more fabric, strips and corduroy. The cable man showed me the new remote. It is covered in buttons. I told him all I need is 'stop' and 'go'. After he left, I continued to organize unpacked items in the sewing area. That I when I discovered that he left his meter. So I called him. He came back for it, and I asked him how to remove all the dead cable leftover from some previous occupant. He cut it out, and then left again with his meter. I finished hanging lacy curtains in the guest room and went downstairs again. As I was puttering, I heard footsteps. I rushed up to find Chris, home early. He had just checked the mailbox and the cable bill was in his hand. It did not reflect the terms he had signed up for. So he called to straighten it out. The customer service people were friendly, but did not resolve the issue. We ate supper. Then we went down to watch "Ghostbusters II" on DVD. It ended about 9:30 so we got to see one episode of BBT on cable. We are thinking of canceling it and the phone service since Knology will not honor the terms Chris was given when he signed up.

No comments: