Saturday, January 21, 2012

Jeff succeeds where another has failed.


I packed a small suitcase the night before. In the morning, we took our showers, I had breakfast, and then packed a box with supplements and my breakfast foods. I also filled a water bottle for the trip. But when we packed the car, I forgot both, although I wouldn't realize it until much later.
We left just after 9, and then went back for my embroidery machine. But we made good time along the way and arrived in Augusta before 4. First we stopped at FGFCU, and then went to Jeff's sewing and vacuum. That is where I bought my embroidery machine. I explained the problem. He confirmed what the other technician said, that touch screens are very expensive. But then he plugged it in and tried something. I did not see what it was 'cause one of the ladies who works there recognized me and we chatted. But lo and behold, Jeff recalibrated the touchscreen. I was amazed. And grateful. What did he do that the other guy didn't? He was just more persistent, I guess. But he did tell me it wouldn't last. He showed me how to do it, but said it wouldn't work forever. He told me how the newer ones do so much more and are cheaper. I asked if they were any lighter, but he said no.
After he made my day, we went by our old house in Merrymont to see how it was doing. Then, to the Doubletree hotel where people were signing up for the tournament. We said hello to various gamers that we hadn't seen in years. Then Chris dropped me off at Silvia's house while he went to visit Neal and April. Silvia was preparing chicken for a dinner with the ladies. I was sorry to drop in early, but she was ok with it. We talked about old times and recent times. The other ladies came by and brought food too. When the chicken was ready, we sat down to eat. After supper, Mary brought a chocolate cake for Linda's birthday. she was surprised. We had a great time. Then we sat in the livingroom and continued to share our lives and experiences and opinions. Just after 10 Chris arrived. I thought he had been to see Trish (whom we were to stay with) but he couldn't get a hold of her. So he came to get me so we could drive over there, and not keep her up too late. That is when the ladies brought out presents for each other and me. Sadly for once I had nothing to give, except a box of Korean chocolates. I wish I had a pic of the group, but I did not think of it at the time. Then we went over to Trish's house, having a hard time finding it in the dark. But we did, and Larry was there by then, too. We all sat up talking until after 1 in the morning. We went to bed, too tired to blog. I slept well, but Larry knocked on the door at 6:30 in the morning to wake Chris. It was too early for me, so I went back to sleep after Chris left. It was after 8 when I got up and washed and dressed. I called Mary to see if we were all going yardsaling, but no one seemed up for it. Trish soft-boiled two eggs for me since I had left my breakfast at home. Trish gave me a tour of the house, yard and workshop. Then we went out to pick up Trish's prescription. Then we stopped at a yardsale in a garage. They had all kinds of christmas and fall decorations (and other stuff since they are selling their house and PCSing to Germany). I bought two curtain rods and a rake. Then we stopped at a Dollar store to pick up some white t-shirts. Then we went to the hotel to pick up Katie, her daughter, who had to be at soccer practice at 1. Trish had a terrible head ache and kept running to the bathroom to heave. Chris had some Aleve and that seemed to help her headache. I got to talk to Greg for a bit while Katie put on her soccer outfit. It had rained all morning, and was still raining off and on. I was pretty sure soccer would be canceled, but Katie really wanted to go. So we went looking for Augusta Soccer Park. Whoever built the place did not make it easy to find. The gate was locked, but then, we were 15 minutes early. Trish drove around looking for another entrance. Nope. But when we got back, the gate was unlocked. We found two coaches and three kids on the field. They were going to do their best to have as much soccer practice as they could. So we dropped off Katie and ran to Foodlion to pick up a few groceries. When we got out, it was raining hard, so we drove over to the field as fast as we could. She was in one of the cars with kids and a coach. With her in the back seat, we went to the gas station. Trish ate a few crackers and started to feel better. We went back to her place. Katie helped us bring in the groceries. Trish built a fire in the fireplace, and laid down on the couch. I got out my laptop to post to my blog.

No comments: