Tuesday, January 10, 2012

When the cat's away...

Surely the title refers to the large, gray cat that was here a few days ago, in the back yard stalking something behind a tree. In other news, Chris left today for Tennessee. He will be TDY until Thursday. It was midmorning when he left. I had eaten breakfast and I read e-mail until almost noon. How does it get so late so soon? There was no point in going outside for lunch since it was raining. So I quit to work on getting this place in order. Let's see if I can remember everything I did today. The days seem to run together. I installed coat hooks in my closet and the main coat closet. I expected it to be a quick and easy job, especially with a cordless drill. But no, the coat hook was in the way of the drill, so I had to finish up with a screwdriver. And the small closet needed wall anchors, which slipped further into the wall when I tried to put the screws in. Somehow it got done. Then I unpacked the box Chris put on my sewing table last night. I found another set of speakers (this time in my sewing room) and I added a receiver and put the box in a pile of boxes with speakers and other audio electronics. I found more fabric strips in a bag and put them as nicely as I could into a box. I think I left several bags of strips in Korea, not realizing that I had more strips in storage. They were crushed so I ironed some of them so they would fit better in the box. I used the better of the two irons I have. I thought they were the ones I brought from Korea, but in box in the computer room I found two more irons, different from each other but much like the pair I had already unpacked - a Black and Decker and a Rowenta. Weird. I found my ribbon collection from Korea and took it downstairs, but haven't found a storage place for it yet. I found my greeting card collection. The packers had dumped it in a box, so I had to sort it all out before putting it in it's drawer. I unpacked a TV stand. I found a white melamine shelf. I can't find any shelving unit that it fits, however. I added to the empty boxes in the garage. I called USAA to open a CD. I hooked up the receiver in the livingroom to a CD player and a speaker. Only had one speaker wire. It sounded pretty good and I thought how much better it would sound with two speakers. So I went hunting around and found some lamp wire that William said I could use as speaker wire. Now I have two speakers, and strangely, it isn't noticeably better. But just adding music to this house has a very homey effect. Too bad I can't take a pic of the ambiance. I listened to classical music for a bit while reading e-mail. Now I am writing my blog and preparing for bed. Tomorrow I plan to get up early and go to the DMV satellite office on post to get my Alabama driver's license now that I have a SS card. I am not looking forward to it though as it does not further my primary objective of getting this place in order. Thus every minute spent there feels like a waste of time.

No comments: