Thursday, January 5, 2012

Distracted by the internet


First let me say how great this connection is. I have been watching video clips that used to take 15 - 20 minutes just to download. Now they play like they were already loaded in my computer. Yea!
The drawback is, I got a late start on my daily unpacking because I sat down at my computer after breakfast. My main priority was to order supplements, but something inside me can't stand unread e-mails in my inbox so I wasted a lot of time reading and deleting. Then I pushed myself away to get some organizing done in the basement. I went through all my bags of batting scraps (no small feat) and separated them into matching piles, and throwing out the narrower ones. Even so, I had a pile of stuffed grocery bags of the strips. I shoved them into some cubbyholes build into the basement. My second priority was to clear the space in the center to set up my cutting table. So I needed storage boxes that would fit on the shelves. I wanted to buy some clear ones at Home Depot, but decided it could wait until after dark. I get the most done during daylight. So I cleaned out some boxes that are short enough to fit on the shelves to use in the meantime. Those boxes were filled with DVD's and VHS. I put them on shelves surrounding the TV. I thought I heard someone upstairs, so I went up. No one was there. It was nearing lunchtime so I had a bite to eat and sat outside in the sun with my computer. Again, I intended to submit the order, but ended up clearing more e-mail. Then Maryann skyped me. She and her son were home and taking a break. She is still fixing up her house too. We talked for a bit, then her laptop battery died. We talked again after she plugged it in. After a while, my laptop battery died. But I called her back when I got mine plugged in. Then I had to go back to work. I organized my serger thread collection, and opened the box marked 'large fabric rolls'. I had forgotten all about them. Two were stained as if the box got wet, but it didn't look like it had. I put them out in the garage with the box of small batting strips. I also went through my collection of decorator fabrics, winnowing it down to a box that will fit on the shelf. The winnowed fabrics went out into the garage, too. I think I will Freecycle that stuff. I collected 4 bags of stuff to throw in the garbage can. It felt good to see stuff leave. I have several boxes of stuff for donation, but since they are still in the house, I haven't gotten a feeling of satisfaction from them. Chris came home while I was downstairs mending his tie. I brought it up along with some more ceramic pieces of Michele's. While he fixed me liver and onions for supper, I was able to clear a space for the table. Then supper was ready. We ate, and sat at our laptops. When Chris finished, he set up my desktop computer for me. Now I can go back to XP! We did not listen to a CD since Chris wanted to go to bed early. I stayed up to clear more e-mail. I did finally place the order. And I joined the local Freecycle group. I also located a good place to move my CD which matured recently and has to be moved by tomorrow or it will be tied up for another few years. Oh, I forgot to mention that we now have home phone service. And a new number (like I desperately need another number to memorize). But we won't be getting or making any calls until we unpack a phone.

No comments: