Thursday, January 5, 2012

Wednesday - we got internet!

When I got up it was around 7. I prepared breakfast. While I was eating, I found my social security card. Chris called at 7:30 to be sure I was up in case Knology came at 8. Well, the guy showed up at 8:15, but just sat in the driveway for a bit. I was expecting two ladder trucks, but it was just one guy in a van. His name was Ernest. He worked very hard drilling and searching lines, going up in the attic, moving furniture. He ran internet to the computer room and cable to the family room by the kitchen. He had to move the entertainment center and I plugged in an extension cord. Sadly it was just a two-prong outlet. I would have preferred a power strip there. Try as he might, Ernest could not get a cable line to the den downstairs. The ceiling in the basement is nailed up tight and the wall is underground. I asked if he could tack it along the ceiling. He said it could be done and to think about it and call him if we really wanted to do that. I wrote him a check for $89. Then his van wouldn't start and he had to jump it from my car. After he left I finished my lunch. While he had been working, I moved shelving around in the basement, put shelving in the closets down there, emptied several boxes, rearranged some others, cleaned the closet floors. I also used the extra hardware from some windows that had them to put up curtain rods in the dining room. I hung the two burgundy panels that I bought in the Chosun. They turned out to be tab curtains not rod-pocket. I had to take down the traverse rod in the kitchen window and lay a regular rod across the hardware to hang a topper there. I hung toppers in both bathrooms, too. I wanted to be as productive as I could before the internet was installed. But I could not find the router when Ernest asked for it, and the desktop computers were not set up, so I still am not on the net. I expect Chris will handle that when he gets home tonight. When Chris came home, I had finished recording my blog for later when I could connect with the internet. He hooked up the router to the Knology modem and we were online. I checked e-mail and watched a video of BBT on the CBS site while he cooked some fish from the freezer. It was very good. We also did two loads of laundry and listened to two CD's from the book. It is due Saturday. Then I jumped back on to the computer to upload the previously written blog posts, almost catching up to present day. Ah, the joy of internet!

No comments: