Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Stripping in the basement

Before I went to bed last night, I sat down to write in a Valentine card for Chris. He always writes such nice things, and I wanted to reciprocate. I left the card on his backpack for him to find in the morning. When I got up, there was a card from him perched on my computer for me to find. It was a very nice card, and not one that I had seen when I was looking at cards. After I read it, I had the usual breakfast and read my e-mail. I took a shower, and dressed. The bathroom sink was slow (still) so I plunged it again, several times. Each time I had to wait for the water to drain, and then wipe the dirt out. But it only drained slower. I gave up, and went down to the laundry area to put detergent on the shirt I was wearing when I spilled the scalding soup. The shirt had not come clean in the wash. I left it to soak for a bit. I resumed my work in the sewing area. I rearranged the 5 pattern pieces to the kaleidoscope quilt, making sure I could fit them in a 7 inch repeat that is 25 inches tall. Then I took a picture to remember how I did it. The next step was to decide how wide to cut each strip, and then to cut them. I did that, having to cut extra in some cases because the fabric was less than 42 inches wide. What is this world coming to when you can't count on quilting fabric (which should be 44/45 inches wide) to be at least 42? Most of the fabric strips are scraps from Gladys' box. For some reason, other people's scraps inspire me more than my own. Anyway, while I was cutting, my phone rang. A lady from Freecycle was calling for boxes. I told her to come on over. I finished assembling the two matching piles of strips. Then I put on a heavy coat and went out to meet her. She took all the dry boxes she could find in the pile. I was suprised how much of it was just cardboard packing, or paper. I was disappointed to see how much was wet. Then we stood around talking about where to find organic and local products. She changed her diet kind of like I did. She wants to get pregnant and figured it would help. We said goodbye and she promised to look me up on Facebook to send me more info. I fixed myself a salad for lunch and sat down to clear the most recent e-mails. Maryann skyped me. We talked for two hours. During that time, the Fedex man knocked on the front door and left a package. Then she had to go, and I was ready to get back to sewing. With the two complete piles of strips, I started sewing two identical strip sets. Chris came home and greeted me with two more seasons of B5. Then he fixed himself supper. I wasn't hungry. Around 7 he came down to watch B5 and I stopped sewing to sit with him. We watched the entire first DVD. My nose got cold again. I remarked on it, and he said it was much colder in Korea. I replied that our Korean apartment was a lot warmer than this house. He parried with 'But we weren't paying the bill.' I really miss the heated floors.

No comments: