Wednesday, October 3, 2012

All those home improvement shows paid off


I don't have a ton of small accomplishments to recite like yesterday, but what I did do was remarkably satisfying.  Oh, there were the usual tasks like clearing the sink, checking on the plants, lying in the sun for a few moments, collecting all the magnolia cones and adding them to the yard waste pile.  But two things stand out.  First, I used the table saw to cut a board into a sewing extension table.  I needed a drill and a scroll saw to make the back part of the cut. Then the grinder/sander mounted in the garage came in handy to round some corners.  It was a remarkable fit.  Then I covered it with the non-stick oven liner and now no one will ever know just how great a job I did.  As I cleaned up the sawdust with a broom, I swept away the spider webs in the garage.  Then I found a small quilt top, pieced together some batting and backing, and pinned it all together to try out my new free-motion quilting setup.  Then I posted pics on the guild Facebook site.
 The second thing was taking apart the vacuum.  I took the handle apart first because that is where the switch is.  But it is mechanically connected to the motor so that wasn't the problem.  I took the beater bar section apart next.  It was very dusty and I cleaned it all out.  But there was nothing broken there.  I wasn't going to mess with the motor itself, so I just put it all back together.  For giggles, I flipped the switch, and, miracle of miracles, it worked!  Didn't sound quite right, but it ran.  At that point, covered in sawdust and lint, I took a shower and a nap.  Chris came home and cooked some organic ground beef for supper.  I ate a bowl of that with some quinoa, and then a salad.  Then I went to choir practice.  I was a little early, and yet late.  As it turns out, the choir director sent out an e-mail asking all the women to come early to practice a song with the kids.  But Yahoo never delivered it to me.  She was on the list of people I sent my new address to, but she didn't get it.  Our organist was back in the hospital, so we had a substitute, the same one that played on Sunday.  But she is going to be gone for 4 weeks in a row, so we practiced songs we have no idea when we will get to sing.  We were done before 8 and I was home soon after. I cleared e-mail and went down to hot glue the support leg and try basting the little quilt with the free-motion quilting foot. Then Chris came down and we watched episodes of MASH that I have never seen before.  And now it is time for bed.

No comments: