Saturday, October 13, 2012

Whatever floats my boat

I got up early to get through my e-mail before going to the Sewing Saturday. The group is having them more often between now and Christmas. I posted to my blog for yesterday. I brainstormed ideas to make the boats float. I wrapped the boat in plastic wrap, which worked, but didn't look so boat-like anymore. Chris and I had quite a discussion about floating the boat. I was determined to float that boat or go down with it. Then I packed a sewing project,some scraps and lunch and headed for UAH. I was amazed to get there before 11. Rebecca let me in the door since it was locked. Several other ladies were there, too, working on various projects. I told them about my boat project and they had several suggestions I wouldn't have thought of. I cut 4 inch squares of all my scraps and gave them to Rebecca for her charm quilt. The other ladies broke for lunch, so I got out my seaweed and orange. Sorry, no squid. After lunch I put red piping and blue borders on three sides of my bargello quilt top. While we sewed, the ladies commiserated about ex-husbands and being abused or taken advantage of. I just nodded wisely as if I had some idea of what it must be like. When I ran out of border fabric, I packed up and bid the other ladies adieu. I went to Earth Fare to buy raw organic cheese and compare the price to the on-line price. It is cheaper at the store. Then I drove home. I read e-mail outside for awhile. Then back to the boat problem, I tried stuffing two toothpicks through the hole in the boat. This made it float:) Upside down:( And several hours and much e-mail later, I discovered that the toothpicks were waterlogged and the boat sank. So I took Chris' suggestion to boil water and dissolve as much salt in it as possible. That worked, but the boat was still upside down. Still, I have great hope that the boat will not float on the oil, so it will be right where I want it. I listened to some audios while the water cooled. I wanted to be sure the boat floated in cool salt water as well as hot. I looked up the Bible story on the internet to have as much detail in mind as possible. I am not sure these kids will hear the story before they come to crafts so I am prepared to tell it. Then I had to test the last detail - hotgluing the cap on. I searched until I found my glue gun and its stand. I timed the heating, it was only 5 minutes. I put glue in the cap and screwed it onto the bottle, burning myself in the process. Not good. But the glue stayed warm long enough to get the cap on, and it did not leak after it cooled. Perfect. I packed all the stuff in a box for tomorrow. Chris, whose game was finished by then, put the freshly washed sheets on the bed, and turned in for the night. I am about to join him.

No comments: