Thursday, October 18, 2012

High bidder

Exercise, breakfast, e-mail: nothing unusual. It being recycle day, I took out the recyclables and put them in the blue container, and put it out by the street. The meter reader parked in the driveway while he read the meters on either side of us and maybe across the street. I watched the second presidential debate on Youtube. Each one spoke eloquently, but then the other one stepped up and called that one a liar. I don't think I can sully my sacred right to vote on either of these guys. Anybody want to suggest a good write-in? I listened to several audios. I investigated the Christmas kits that Shannon gave me. They are both suitable for the craft although with a few alterations.
I called my parents: Mom is the same and Dad had two teeth pulled. I went outside to rake leaves in the front yard with my laptop in a backpack. I cleared perhaps a third, then mowed that section. Then I raked in the back for awhile. The leaves in the front yard were all brown and crumbly. But the ones in the back yard were fresh and vibrantly colored. It was almost a shame to rake them up. One item from my latest Swansons order was delivered today. I wonder where the rest of it is. Usually the whole thing shows up in less than a week, but now it has been 8 days and no sign of the rest of it. I fixed myself a big salad, and called up the 5 tapping videos for today, and then Chris came home. He made himself supper. We discussed the presidential debate, and then I left for the HQH guild meeting and auction. When I got there, I had to sign for a number, which was used for bidding. The president encouraged me to peruse the silent auction items, so I did (after picking up a comfy quilt kit). All the items were grouped into baskets or bundles. I think a lot of books were donated because every bundle had two or three. The bids were low on most items, so I placed a few bids. I stopped by the membership table to renew my membership. Then I found a seat for the meeting. It was short and then the live auction started. Those items were also in bundles and I might have bid on them if I had looked them over before the meeting started, but I didn't think of that. And really there wasn't time. But others bid. One basket went for over $200. Another for $25. I remembered my camera on the countertop in the kitchen. So I asked the lady next to me if she could take a pic. She had a smart phone and was able to take the pic and e-mail it to me right then and there. Wow! So I made a friend. We talked through the rest of the auction. When the live auction items were gone, the auctioneer started on the silent auction items that were not bid on. I was still talking to my new friend Julie, but one large basket was being hawked for $5 so I raised my card. But so did someone behind me and he sold it to her. I didn't really care. But his assistant pointed me out, and he said he'd take care of me. A few items later, another bundle wasn't selling and he hawked it for $2 and looked straight at me. Absolutely no one was interested, so I raised my card. I didn't want to go home empty handed and figured I had been outbid on the more desirable items earlier. He shouted 'sold for $2' and took my number. Julie and I chatted for awhile longer. The place cleared out and women were standing lines paying. I looked around at the few items still on tables. I was surprised to find two with my number circled as the high bidder. I took the items up to the pay table. The lady found my number in a big wall of plastic pockets. She said there were two tickets for two items for $19. I told her about the $2 item, but said I didn't know what it was or where it was. She didn't know either if there was no ticket. So I paid the $19 and left. I came home to photograph my wins. I also washed a pot and put Chris' folded underwear in the drawers. Then Chris and I watched two episodes of Warehouse 13 before he went to bed. * I don't know why Julie's pic of the auctioneer is sideways. These are the two baskets I won. *

No comments: