Thursday, April 18, 2013

Weeding and Juicing

I was up about 7:30 this morning. It's funny how I remember that, but the rest of the day is so hard to reconstruct. Chris left the fan on, but I got kind of chilly so I turned it off. I went through my usual routine. i ran an internet search for palls. Seems the church wants one and they are expensive. I wanted to see if it was something I could make.After breakfast I stepped outside to get in some early yardwork. I watered the seedlings, I raked the side yard and mowed it. Then I mowed in the backyard 'till the motor overheated. While I was waiting for it to recover, I got out the grass shears to cut a large stand of overgrown clover. I cut and mowed until the mower needed to recharge. Then I pulled weeds and black-eyed susans in the garden. They were too numerous last summer so I figured I pull all of the ones that have sprouted, and let any remaining ones live. Eventually I got out the mower again for a few more rows. Thoroughly tired, I went inside for a bite to eat. I got out beets, celery, a cucumber and a lemon for juicing. But instead of using my usual juicer, I got out the bigger one that Faye and Kevin gave me for Christmas. I had to wash all the parts first. As I was trying to open the bag of celery, I cut my finger. I ran cold water over it, rubbed it with ice, and put a bandaid on it. I juiced up the veggies and drank the liquid. There wasn't much in the pulp container, which was a good thing. The other juicer left large chunks of beet unjuiced. I threw that in the compost and cleaned up the machine and the kitchen. Then I relaxed in the recliner while listening to an audio. That is how Chris found me when he got home. He asked about the bandaid and I told him. He warned me of a coming storm, so I brought my seedlings inside. I dressed for guild meeting and chose a shirt to match my new nametag. I did not take a show-n-tell. I went a little early to turn in the tickets I had sold, but she told me to keep them until they were all sold. Great. I sat with Jodi and Barbara, I should have brought something for show-n-tell because it was a very short line. Our program for the evening was Barbara Black talking about how to make an award-winning quilt. It was very interesting but not technical. She had lots of pictures, many of her own quilts, and of previous winners of our local quilt show. After the show people went up to examine the ones she'd brought up close. I went home because it was later than I expected. Chris and I still managed to get in several episodes of Bones before going to bed.
* This is Joan's t-shirt quilt from Monday *

No comments: