Saturday, April 20, 2013

Farmer's Market



It was really late when I got to bed last night, but I still got up by 8:30. I ran through my usual morning routine even though I did not intend to complete it all. But instead of having breakfast, I drove out to the Madison Farmer's Market. It was smaller than I expected. There were vendors of cheese, plants (flowering and vegetating), chocolate, coffee, nuts, preserves, meat and milk. I was looking for produce, but I guess it is a little early. I got a gallon of milk, a 24 oz sausage, goat cheese, sprouted hummus, and a flat of wheat grass. I went home immediately to put most of the items in the fridge. I fixed breakfast even though it was about noon by then. Then I packed my machine and headed to Faith Presbyterian for their charity quilt marathon. They had lots of tables set up, extension cords, ironing stations and cutting mats. And one large table of fabric! It was for anyone to use to make comfort quilts. I set up my machine and sorted through the fabrics to find stuff that went with what I brought. I added a 2 yard piece from Korea to their pile. I cut and cut and cut until I felt I had enough to start another quilt like the one I will be teaching. I meant to take notes during the process, but forgot to bring a piece of paper. But I did not get far. I constructed 4 large blocks, and cut them in 4ths. Then I got to talking to the lady sitting behind me. We have lots in common, including husbands and aging parents. The lady in front of me finished the quilt she was working on and completed another top. Then the other ladies cleaned up and put away all the stuff, unplugging my machine. So I packed up too. I helped pack the fabric on the fabric table without helping myself to more fabric. Incredible, huh? After the stuff was stashed in Maria's car, I rolled my machine and fabric out to mine. Debbie stopped to give me her card in case I might want her to longarm a quilt top. Then I drove home, to mow the fenced-in area behind the house and part of the front lawn. I had to raise the deck to get anywhere with the fenced-in area. I guess the grass is just too thick. I did not bother pulling weeds. I checked on my recently planted stuff since it was so cold last night. Then I came in to juice up most of the leftover veggies from the week, plus some of the wheat grass. That made 3 glasses of juice. I also ate some of the goat cheese and sprouted hummus. I listened to an audio. I drank some of the milk, and it was outstanding! I watched a video called "Ripe for Change". It is about better farming practices. Then I took my laptop down to listen to one last audio while I sewed. First I fixed the hem of Chris' pants, and then I worked on my green quilt. Now I am going to bed, hoping to get up early enough to be on time for Sunday School.

No comments: