Monday, July 22, 2013

A death in the family

Monday
I got a good night's sleep and woke at 7 CST which was 8 EST. Expecting rain later, I put on my bathing suit to get in some beach time. The sand was neutral, but the water was ice cold, like yesterday. I did not stay out long. But on the way in, I met the others heading for the beach. So I went back out. The sun came out. So instead of wading in the surf, I hid behind Cecily and her large umbrella. No sense in getting burned on the first day. When the others went in, so did I, leaving Cecily some peace by herself. I carried my breakfast box to the kitchen to assemble my meal. After breakfast, I cleaned up the counter and carried the box back to our bedroom. Michele skyped us so we all talked until Chris' computer crashed. I read e-mail for awhile. Then Chris invited me to go to the store. It had rained and the roads were flooded. We went to Harris Teeter first, getting a few groceries. Then we went to Rite Aid for a clothes line, and then to Ace Hardware for a sink stopper. When we got back, everyone else ate lunch, but I wasn't hungry. I read e-mail and got my unread e-mails down to 50. An e-mail from my aunt Jean said that my uncle John died this morning. I was very sad. Olivia came in and wanted to play a video game. I don't remember the name of the game we played, but it involved finding objects in a room and using them to escape. At level 10, I brought up my laptop to find out what we were missing. When we finished the game, she played Wedding Bash and I read e-mail until my battery ran down. Then I got out my fabrics and tools to cut templates, and pieces for my yellow quilt. Olivia watched me and gave encouragement. She is very good at that. Then, at 5:30 when I thought they were going to start making supper, I got word that Cecily said we should go to the beach. Being an obedient daughter-in-law, I put on the suit and followed the others. They went to the beach but I stopped at the pool. It was warmer. I swam by myself until Olivia came in from the beach. We swam together for awhile, then went in the hot tub. Then the others came in. When I was done, I took off my suit and wrapped in a towel. I hung up the suit and tried to come in the lower door, but the key code did not work. So I had to come in on the third floor. They told me supper would be ready in 15, so I changed into dry clothes and read a bit of e-mail. Then Chris came down to tell me it would be 10 more. More time to read e-mail. Then we all gathered for supper. We had pork tenderloin and sauerkraut, apple rings, and sugarsnap peas. I cut up some tomatoes for me. After supper, it rained and we saw lightning. Most of us watched two episodes of Westwing in the livingroom before going to bed. Chris was reading e-mail when I came down. I saw Kurt had skyped me so I mentioned the funeral and he hadn't heard. We skyped back and forth about it while I wrote this post.

No comments: