Sunday, July 28, 2013

A volunteer - what is it?

I woke up in what seem like the middle of the night. But that was only because the black-out shades were drawn on the window. It was light outside and sometime after 7. We got up and showered and dressed and read e-mail. Chris visited the complimentary continental breakfast and brought some food back. I ate my prepared breakfast and took my supplements. We packed up the car and left around 10. We listened to the book on CD all the way home, which was only another 3.5 to 4 hours. I realized that even if we had started that book last weekend, we would still not have finished it. The first thing I noticed when we got back was that the lawn needed mowing. Then we noticed that the garden needed picking, especially the cucumbers. We carried all our travel stuff into the house. Chris made himself a cup of coffee and I ate as many tomatoes as I could. Some of the ones we brought back from the beach were soft and two of the ones I picked had been 'sampled' by some animal. Then we went to the grocery store to stock up for the week. After we put the food away, I mowed part of the back yard. Then I prepared a week's worth of vitamins and placed a Swanson's order for more. I wrote down the ingredients for coconut mayonnaise and took the list into the kitchen. I had all the ingredients, but remembered from last time that the blender won't take a whole recipe. So as I poured in the oil, I watched for the moment when the thick stuff stopped moving. Then I poured some out and kept going. That worked fine the first two times, but as I was pouring for the third time, it would not thicken, and all I got was frothy oil. I tried to save it by adding lemon juice, and by placing it in the fridge for awhile. Neither of those worked. I searched the internet and found out that there is a limit to the amount of fat that it would take. So I added an egg and blended some more. Still did not work. I mowed more of the back yard. I also noticed vines (like Virginia Creeper) taking over the front of the house. I pulled as many as I could. Then we went downstairs to watched episodes of Chuck. When we came up, Chris read his e-mail one last time while I unpacked my suitcase. Then he went to bed and I posted to my blog.

No comments: