Monday, July 8, 2013

Renegades

Chris' phone alarm went off at 7:30. We stayed in bed a little longer before getting up. My foot was hurting from dropping the jar of kimchi on it Saturday. Although it was raining, I did not go down to check the basement. After showering and dressing, I practiced my trombone one last time and then packed it up. Chris took it to the car. I went through the garage to pick up the kneeler. We parked right outside the north end of the church. Even though it was only 20 minutes until the service, there were only 2 other cars in the parking lot. The organist was inside with the pastor. I showed them the kneeler and we all tried it out. Cecelia came in to see us kneeling and she tried it out. She liked it, but agreed with me that it could look better. The organist played while she sang her piece and then with me while I played part of mine. The church was filling up with people. We sat on the far left so I wouldn't have far to go to play. During communion I watched to see who got to kneel on the new cushion. After the last blessing, I played my two songs. Most people stayed to listen and clapped when I was done. A few might have been singing along with America the Beautiful. Then I packed up and Chris took the instrument out while I stayed behind to chat with a few more people about the kneeler. Then we went home to change clothes. I ate breakfast while Chris went grocery shopping. After limping in church, it seemed like a good idea not to go shopping. But after breakfast, Chris took me to Quilter's Combo for the Renegades meeting. They make Project Linus quilts. The block for this month was a wonky four-patch. The leader gave me a few small leftover blocks from another project to get started with. She had also brought some home grown tomatoes. I found out later that they weren't grown at her home. It was fun to root through the Project Linus stash to find strips to go around the blocks. I finished 8 blocks by the time most ladies were leaving. I called Chris to come get me. He arrived just as I had packed up. We came home and he put roast beef in the oven. He smelled like bacon. Mmmm. I considered mowing because the rain had stopped, but decided to give my foot another day of rest. After supper we watched more Chuck. My foot was feeling much better as long as no one touched the top of it. Chris gave me a back rub and I fell asleep.
* This quilt was on the wall above the ironing station. Interesting use of divided sashing. *

No comments: