Saturday, July 20, 2013

Halfway there

Chris mentioned yesterday that he wanted to leave no later than 8.  It was after 7 when we got up.  He fixed coffee and read e-mail, so I read my e-mail too.  I ate the breakfast I prepared yesterday.  I was the first to break away and pack the last few things.  I printed out another sheet of hexagon parts with thinner lines.  I packed it in a plastic bag with a small rotary cutter, mat, and scissors.  I forgot to bring tape, pins, or needle and thread.  I also forgot my wedding ring.   I checked the garden one last time and found two cucumbers.  I ate one.  We got on the road at 9:30.  We played a Janet Evanovich book on CD.  It wasn't a Stephanie Plum novel because we've been through all of those.  We stopped at a burger place for Chris, but I wasn't hungry.  Hours later we stopped at Subway and I got a salad.  I skipped the tomatoes and peppers because my hands were really hurting.  We brought it to the car where I got sprouts and carrots from the cooler to complement it.  We made good time until the last 15 miles.  Route 40 was closed until Monday and we didn't find it out until after the next to last exit.  It was start and stop traffic up to exit 180.  Why weren't there signs warning us earlier?  We could have gone around.  It took us over an hour to go several miles.  When we got off at 180, we drove fairly quickly to our hotel in Winston-Salem.  There was a pool, but I didn't want to get my bathing suit wet.  I wondered why I was so impatient in traffic considering that all we did was drive to the hotel and sit.  Reading e-mail.  We shared an orange around 8.  I had to restart reading the XKCD comics when I discovered that you could mouse-over them and get more info.  Then I got hit by something like caffeine.  I was pacing the room and Chris finally went with me for a walk outside.  It was nice and we walked around the hotel and saw the pool.  We went back to the room for the car keys and got my water bottle.  It was almost empty.  Then we walked to CVS for a Brita filter pitcher.  After that walk, I felt better.  I ate some kimchi and soaked the new filter in water to prepare it.   It's hard to believe that after all the driving we did today, we have just as much tomorrow.
*  Here is a pic from the talk on Thursday night *
 

No comments: